Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student assignments

With an online course, I feel that it is important to supply comments or critiques on student assignments. This provides the interaction with the student that makes the course more personal. It also shows that the instructor is monitoring the student growth and knowledge of the subject.

Kelly:
Agree. As with classroom settings, students must be provided with constructive feedback on their Assignments. Rubrics for grading the Assignments must also be provided.
Satrohan

In some ways it may be even more important in an on-line class. Students have to know you're out there. In a classroom setting, if you don't return their work the next day, you're able to explain why, maybe sit and review it with them. On-line instructors cold be anywhere on the planet ... they could even be (gasp!) dead, and we'd never know.

I totally agree that students need comments or feedback of some sort regarding assignments; however, the feedback needs to be provided in a timely manner. If students are expected to submit assignments, projects, and discussions on time and before deadlines, instuctors should serve as role models and exhibit similar behavior by providing timely and continuous feedback for the duration of the course.

Feedback should also include model answers to questions as well as an overall summary of each discussion forum or topic area/subject to clarify any misunderstandings.

Great comments LaToya. Do you have an expectation on the maximum amount of time it will take you to respond to a student or return materials to them?

I agree with you. It is very important for the instructor to provide feedback to the students on all assignments. Many students like to know where and how to improve, especially in a class like medical billing and coding. It can get difficult to understand at times. In my experiences, providing examples and sharing information that may be found in the textbook has been very helpful to students.

You are absolutely correct Lakithia! Thanks for sharing.

Providing meaningful and constructive feedback is important for online students. This should happen for discussion posts, assignments, and exams. I like to use the "sandwich method" - a positve ocmment, followed by a negative, followed by positive. I know if you start negative, you immediatlely turn off the learner.

Sign In to comment