Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Unsatisfactory on-line student

How would you address a local on-line student who insist on meeting you, because they feel they are not being graded fairly and has issues with your teaching style and will not give up until you meet with them face to face?

I am not sure that I would be comfortable doing that with out hte supervision of another team member

Michelle:
Without knowing your school's policies and procedures and the kinds of expectations they set for students in regards to their roles and responsibilities as an online learner etc.

I would refer the student to the procedure to follow as prescribed by the school to resolve the grading issue.

In regards to teaching style, I do the same. Refer the studen to the person at your school to whom he can air his concerns.

No matter how persistence the student is, I would not grant a face-to-face meeting with that student unless the relevant member sof the school are present.
Satrohan

Agreed, Max. Please refer to my response to Michele.
Satrohan

I would not schedule to meet them face to face just becasue they are local becasue it is not fair to other students that do not have that same opportunity.

Pamela:
Your conclusion is a valid one. If I were the Instructor, I would be more concerned whether there are any risks associated with meeting the student face-to-face as this student has been very persistent. As I suggested in a previous response, if I were to do a face-to-face meeting, it would have to be in the presence of other school officials, and at the school.
Satrohan

I agree

Just because they are local does not give the student the right to treatment any different than that offered to other students

It is clear that there must be protocols in place to deal with disputes/questions and they need to be clearly communicated to all parties involved

While I realize that we also need to be flexible, this class forum is online and students know that
when enrolling in the course

Joel

Joel:
Your points are well taken. The source of this discussion topic mentioned the student being very insistent on a face-to-face meeting. Persistent requests of this nature would concern me as an Instructor. I would have consulted with the proper authorities in the school and have them take corrective action.
Satrohan

I agree to having a third party present

Thanks for stating your position, Libby. One can never tell where any attempt to resolve a problem or a clonflict can lead; so it is always better for the institution to ensure that it has proper representation.
Satrohan

This is exactly what an online instructor should do. Never meet with a student in regards to teaching style or grading policies without a representaive of the school present. As an instructor, you set yourself up for much bigger problems.

It is the responsibility of your school officials to help make these type of decisions, not the instructor alone. I am the Academic Dean of my school and this is my responbility.

I have had to meet with online students twice in regards to grades from an online class they have taken. This type of meeting can be very intense discussions and someone of higher authority then the instructor usually must make a decsion.

It is not fair to load this type of discussion/decisions on the shoulders of the faculty. Taking this in your own hands can actually make things worse instead of better.

Kim

Kim:
Agreed on all counts. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this.
Satrohan

I would meet with the student only with the department dean present.

Agreed on all counts, Robert. Most students who have responded to this forum shae the same point of view-----one way or another.
Satrohan

I feel the same as everyone else.

Michelle:
So do I, Michelle. Unless managed properly in accordance with the institutional policies, this situation can result in dire consequences and could set a really bad precedence.
Satrohan

This is a hard decision to make for each individual instructor. If you feel comfortable with meeting the student, do so in a neutral place or with the assistance of another individual. If you do not feel comfortable, let the student know your normal policy on meeting with students face-to-face, or if you do not have a policy, now would be a good time to establish one to avoid additional future issues.

Your recommendations are well taken, Christina. I would not be surprised if some institutions do not have clauses in their policies addressing this issue. It is quite likely that institutions adopt the same policies that apply to a traditional classroom setting; without suspecting that situations such as this one would arise in an online setting. My take is that regardless of whether it is an onlien course or an on-the-ground course, the instructor has to take the necessary safety precautions to protect himself and herself as well as the institution.
Satrohan

I whole-heartedly agree.
If you're going to meet face-to-face, you do not want to do it without someone credible being present.

Tom:
As far as I can recall, all respondents in this Discussion thread hold th same opinion.
Satrohan

Sign In to comment