Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Sending topic to students ahead of Chat session

The idea of sending the topic of discussion to students ahead of a Chat session. My question is, how much time in advance of the Chat would you send the topic to the student? I can see how this would engage and motivate the students by allowing them time to research the topic early.
Thank you
Michele

Michele,

I personally would send it out about 24 hours ahead of time. Not too early, but early enough for them to make a decision and plan to connect as well as do any background research they needed before the session.

Herbert Brown III

That sounds like a pretty good time frame to me as well. I would think this may also being a way of encouraging participation. I always seem to struggle with low number of participants in the chats. Perhaps a good idea for another thread or maybe there is a course that helps in this area.

I send out my power points notes in a pdf format about 24 hours in advance too.

Denise,

Do you find you get a better response and interaction from students when you do send out your materials ahead of a chat session?

Herbert Brown III

Denise,

Do you find you get a better response and interaction from students when you do send out your materials ahead of a chat session?

Herbert Brown III

I post the topics for the chats at the beginning of the term, and I send out email reminders to attend or to listen to chat.

Bonnie,

Do you get a lot of students connecting on Chat? If so, how do encourage them to connect? If not, how can we encourage them to connect?

Herbert Brown III

I class size is small enough sending out topics that are relevant for discussion and letting students have input as to which ones would spark interest and responses might appeal to more students participation

Sign In to comment