Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning styles

Have anyone came across one learning style in the online classes? I was just having a discussion with some of my co-workers and wanted others opinion.

Khaison,

Are you asking if I have found "only" one learning style? I have not. Students still demonstrate the whole array of learning styles and to reach the students effectively we as instructors need to use a variety of learning tools, assignments, assessments, etc. to reach our diverse populations.

Herbert Brown III

I have seen concerns in our training with motivation.

Jon,

What kind of concerns? Maybe the group can help think through it....

Herbert Brown III

I am quite surprised the section on learning styles was not only outdated and lacking in depth and breadth. Specifically, a single and outdated source (Bergquist, W.H. & Phillips, S.R.1975, A Handbook for Faculty Development. Council for the Advancement of Small Colleges, pp.114-17) simply does not do justice to the subject. That said, the research has revealed over 70 different learning styles and overwhelming has rejected the hypothesis that learning styles do not affect learning outcomes. I've been research learning/cognitive styles for 30 years, and I've yet to find any definitive research on learning styles and participation in discussions. While there have been numerous studies on learning styles of online learners, the majority have found no significant difference in learning styles and their effect on successfully completing an online course.

This link containing learning style resources will provide the opportunity to review the most recent research on learning styles: http://www.fgdla.us/learning_style_resources.html?r=20131213125438

Sign In to comment