Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Engaging your students

First and formost you should ask "why are you here"? I ask all my students the first day of class that question. Is this a required course, like I'm having to take, or are you here because you want to be! If it's required you can show how the class will still benefit you if you put in the effort. Even though this is required for my teaching job and I have no desire to be an online instructor, I'm finding ways I can benefit from learning different approches to teaching.

Lauren,

I think that starting off the discussion forum with questioning the students purpose for taking the course is a great idea. I thin this will definiteley reinforce the reason for the student being in the program and may even be a way to inspire motivation for the student. I usually engage my students by being the devil's advocate by questioning their opinions and having them consider other view points.

Hi Lauren,

I think that your initial discussion is great. It is always good to know probe in an online learning environment. Some students have are motivated differently. What type of responses do you receive from students?

I really like the positive approach as it pertains to showing students the benefits of taking courses.

Questioning the students as to why they are taking the class is fine, but I would also focus on what benefits they can see as well.

As students enter the class them I ask questions about where they live, activities they enjoy and perhaps about their goals.

To me the most encouraging thing we can do is be positive at all times. If a student is wrong I start with the part of the assignment that is right first.

Lauren,

I think there is something to be learned whether you have experience in one or the other or even both. I feel as if it is harder to engage the "dependent" online learner more than the traditional student. You know that in online settings, people can come and go freely and log in whenever they want. If you are trying to reach the "dependent" student specifically, it might be harder than if you were meeting face to face. However, despite these challenges, we as instructors have to ensure that we give it our all in each and every session. If we aren't engaged, then neither will the student learners be. This may take some creativity on our parts, but it is so worth it in the end when the students demonstrate their growth. We have all been students at one point and remember the professor we never wanted to have again; don't be that professor!!

A.Bell

Sign In to comment