Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What's about be different

We all see messages from students who have intense personal situations and we have to assume that there are plenty of students who prefer to keep those personal situations to themselves, rather that share with an instructor. That said, sometimes what a student needs is an offer of help in a different form.

Catherine,
There may be many students who might benefit. What are some of your favorite "different forms" of offering help?

I once had a student who had just returned from his third tour in Afghanistan and who was suffering from some incredible PTSD. He talked about war in every single paper, on the discussion board, and in separate emails to me. He never asked me directly for help, but because I was concerned that he might be a danger to himself or others I did gently advise him (in one of our email exchanges) to perhaps talk to someone who he trusted about his concerns. I also shared my concerns and suggestions confidentially with his online advocate. I just wanted to be sure that someone at the campus was looking out for him and to ensure that the campus knew of how volatile and fragile he was. I couldn't have lived with myself if he had become angry in class and harmed someone and no one had come forward in advance to share the concern.
My advice is to talk to your administrators and see what your policy is on reporting concerns, helping students with reported disabilities, etc. Sometimes people will find that the policy doesn't exist, is not well understood, or is not being implemented consistently.

Good luck!

Tamara,
Thank you for your excellent advice on this topic. Instructors don't need to go such situations alone. Know what resources are available and how students can access them. This way when a need arises the instructor can quickly provide information that will be of benefit to the student.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I am myself Dyslexic and I sometimes have students with the same or similar issues to overcome, and I have sometimes given my own advice on how to work with it and even some ways it can be a benefit.

Sign In to comment