Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Deducting points

I deduct points for students who are continuly absent. With online students having different schedules do you feel it appropriate to deduct points if a student misses the chat sessions, even though assignments are in on time?

i do not currently teach online. i would not deduct points if they are participating in other discussions

Michelle:
The answer to your question depends on the purpose of the chat sessions, how important it is for each student to participate, and whether non-participation will "short-change" other students. You also have to consider the number of points awarded for participation in chats.

Personally, for a number of reasons, I do not use Chats to teach course core course content especially if students will be tested on the content. As such, I would not penalize a student for not participating in Chat sessions. I would deduct points if students do not participate in Asynchronous Discussions in a timely manner in situations in which students have to evaluate the responses fo other students.
Satrohan

Max:
Please refer to my rsponse to Michele in regards to this issue. Thanks.
Satrohan

Would another option be, depending on the class size, offering synchronous discussions at various times throughout the term? Students could select, in advance, the one chat time that best fits their schedule? I realize that the instructor would need to be flexible with their schedule and that it could require extensive coordinating especially if you have a large class.

I do not take points off for missing chat sessions it is impossible for students to adhere to the same schedule they need flexibility.

Nori:
This is a plausible alternative; however, as you rightfully put it, this would increase the workload of the Instructor. Scheduling synchronous chat sessions across time zone would also add to the challenge.
Satrohan

Pamela:
The importance of participating in all chat sessions is a factor that should influence your decision. If it is not mandatory to participate in all, then the students should be advised of the minimum sessions in which they are required to participate. Providing a sechedule of the chat sessions in the course syllabus should enable students to idnetify the sessions in whcih they would be able to participate. Perhaps including the topic of each session would be of additional help for them to select the ones in which they would like to participate. In addition, providing access to the archived results of all of the chat sessions to each student should compensate for the ones they missed.
Satrohan

"Attendance" is critical no matter what forum we utilize. Perhaps finding ways to stimulate participation and perhaps adjusting some projects / discussions to facilitate this may be more beneficial than deducting pints

Joel

Joel:
This is a remarkable recommendation. Let's assume an instructor has done all of this and a student's participation is still low; do you think that deducting points would be unfair?
Satrohan

I believe that at some point we need to move on and so I would think that deducting points would be fair.

joel

Joel:
Throughout my academic life, I remained a silent student in the classroom; unless I had to do a presentation. By nature, I am a quiet person. Most of my Instructors gave marks for class participation. I am sure I lost many of those. I cannot really say whether my low level of participation robbed other students of knowledge; as that was certainly not my intention. In primary and secondary school in my native country, I was an excellent participant in classroom instruction. When I began my studies in Canada, everything was new to me; so that made it difficult for me to engage in active participation. For example, I could not relate to the kinds of experiences a typical Canadian would mention.
Satrohan

I think it is appropriate to deduct points if you have made it clear from day one that there are required chat sessions and have also been specific as to the times when these sessions will occur.

Agreed on all counts, Christina.
Satrohan

If part of the expectations are to attend those sessions, you are absolutely right in deducting points for absences.
If you don't you, lose your credibility with your students.

Yes, Tom. Setting rules and applying them in a consistent manner are very important measures to maintain your authority and credibility as an Instructor.
Satrohan

Michele,

Ido not think that I would dedcut points if the students were doing their assignments properly. It might also depend on the nature of the chat session as well.

I do not use a point system. However, chat sessions are not the sole way that I need to get my course across. Once I lecture I can put that lecture in an archieve for the student to view at a later date. Perhaps if chat sessions were the only way to get my course to the student then I might need to reconsider.

I don't feel it's fair to deduct points if they miss a class or chat session. I do, however, feel that points should be deducted for late assignments..no matter what the reason.

Lisa:
My take is that if points are awarded for the activities to which you refer in your first sentence, points should be deducted when the expectations is that students should participate in those learning activities. When a student fails to participate, the other students are "short-changed" by his or her lack of contribution for that learning event. Of course, there may be extenuating circumstances that prevented the student from participating; so you will have to use your discretion. The same applies for late submission of assignments.
Satrohan

Sign In to comment