Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Should online learning ever have group projects?

Is there a value to having group projects during online learning?

Milka,

If you subscribe to the social constructivist view of learning than group interaction is paramount in the learning process. There are very few fields today where you will work as a sole individual. Teaching online and traditional students to work collaboratively only ensures there success on the job when they are asked to work in a group or team. Learning effective group interaction is a vital skill for everyone to learn.

Herbert Brown III

I had a hard time with group projects. It's hard to get everyone in your group because of work schedules. Some are available certain times others are available other times. This tends to get frustrating

Yvette,

It can be very frustrating; however, it is so vital to the learning process in my opinion. That is not to say every assignment has to be a group project, but you really get to know your classmates when you have to interact with them on projects and assignments.

Herbert Brown III

Even graduate students dislike group projects.
The active students get discouraged while team
members who do not contribute.

Bonnie,

If students don't like group work should we just throw it out? Can you just tell your boss that you don't want to work as a group on a project you were assigned? If so, you won't be employed long. It is imperative that we put mechanism in place that ensure ALL STUDENTS participate actively in the group. Peer evaluations can be one way to ensure that students that do not participate do not get full credit. All of these things are "real life" and it is our job to teach students how to work through good and bad group working relationships.

Herbert Brown III

Online group projects can be beneficial for a number of reasons. They can build a stronger sense of community and allow students to get to know one another.

Students that work on teams also get practical knowledge and experience in team driven projects. Such projects take place in the real world, and many of them are in virtual environments like the online class. Since this is a practice that is done in industry, it is practical to include it in the classroom.

Zachary,

Have you had any issues with some students not "pulling their weight" in group work? Have you found any strategies that work for you to address this issue?

Herbert Brown III

I agree, Herbert. This is even more critical when we look at the growing amount of global collaborative work and work-from-home/virtual employees. Working as a team in the online environment teaches students how to deal with environments where their team members are not in the office next to them. Ground-based students don't like group projects either, but it's important they experience it so they are better equipped to deal with it in the real world work environment. I believe the same goes for online students.

Chris

I agree, group projects done online are very difficult. Not only dealing with different schedules and time zones but also how online education is geared. Online education is geared toward a professional student. A student who works and is more individualized.

Michael,

But don't professionals have to collaborate in their jobs? Is there not a time in the evenings or weekends that students can find to collaborate. I have found that if I require it they students will work out the details on their own.

Herbert Brown III

Online projects should be included in online classes. However, each student should be evaluated and the Instructor should grade accordingly if responses are unanimous.

Catina,

Can you give some more details here? I am not sure I am following your statement. Are you suggesting peer evaluations of group work and if so, how would/do you do that?

Herbert Brown III

I think group projects are hard to manage. The ability to work together in general is contingent on their schedules. Input and quality of content will vary amongst the students and might require constant mediation from the instructor. Although its a great idea, clear guidelines and constant interaction via chat might be useful.

LaKeisha,

Since the business world expects individuals that can work in teams and work collaboratively it seems we need to make it work regardless of whether it is hard to manage or not. Incorporating peer evaluations in the process and checkpoints in the work cycle can help to address some of the typical issues with group work.

Herbert Brown III

LaKeisha,

Since the business world expects individuals that can work in teams and work collaboratively it seems we need to make it work regardless of whether it is hard to manage or not. Incorporating peer evaluations in the process and checkpoints in the work cycle can help to address some of the typical issues with group work.

Herbert Brown III

Sign In to comment