Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Camtasia as a tool to create teacher presence

I use Camtasia to increase my presence within my classes.

This tool adds a presence in the classroom when used as a Welcome Greeting, an Introductory Roadmap for the course, assignment clarifications and comments/feedback on assignments. Your picture can be added also. It adds a visual/audio component for students to connect with.

Does anyone use this?

Jean

Jean,

I teach many computer-intensive courses and I use Camtasia extensively for recorded course materials. The students always comment that the videos I create are the most helpful elements of the course when learning new computer concepts. I am a strong advocate for incorporating audio and video elements to enhance courses.

Herbert Brown III

I used to use Camtasia for general screen recording but it became a long drawn out process for video recording because not only did you have to record it, but then you have to place it in the timeline and then render it. I found Open Broadcaster which does screen recording and renders the computer for you when your done. I still use Camtasia for creating a layout when I design curriculum.

I use Camtasia all the time and absolutely love the program. You can even embed quizzes if needed.

Ron,

I create many custom videos for my courses and the students love them the most. They always comment on them. I would suggest other instructors consider adding more "media" elements to their courses to better cover the content and connect with their students.

Herbert Brown III

Richard,
Thanks for sharing Open Broadcaster. I wasn't sure what options were out there. I will be recording videos in advance for a few classes and will give this a try.

Youtube is a more informal video setting, but it works at times for short video posts.

Denise,

There are a number of options out there and many of the video conferencing software applications, such as Blackboard collaborate and others that schools may use also provide the ability to create recordings and download them for offline access and archive.

Herbert Brown III

I do the same thing, Herbert. With Camtasia, I can quickly show students how to do a particular process like create a basic Web page or connect to a database. Videos like this are much more effective for many students than simply text-based instructions.

Chris

Yes I also use Camtasia and Captivate to create additional resources for the course. I teach manly technical courses so there are many software demonstrations in my classes so these tools help show the "how to" of the software. I also use them to answer questions from the Q&A sections when it is easier to show than to type out an explanation.

Justice,

Good point, it is sometimes easier to record a response than to type one. I have an associate that did that all the time. They recorded themselves narrating and commenting on the students' work and then sent them a link to the video. It was very effective.

Herbert Brown III

I will start to study and integrate these into my courses. They sound like a great way to improve the quality of learning.

Guy,

I have found video and other multimedia elements to almost be invaluable for my students. I teach a lot of software and related IT classes and my students tell me that they would have really struggled without the videos.

Herbert Brown III

Sign In to comment