Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online Instructors

I think online and adjunct instructors are in the same slot. Because both are not really on campus that much and have limited access to other faculty members. What can you do to closed the gap?

Khaison,

Which Gap are you referring to?

Herbert Brown III

My interpretation of online instructors who have limited access to other faculty is a matter of choice, not just physical location. What I have discovered after teaching for 30 years both onsite and online is that regardless of which method of deliver one uses, there are a number of teachers who are not readily accessible. For example, if I teach in a physical classroom on different days than other colleagues, then I will miss certain conversations with them.

In those situations, it is still important to use email and make phone calls! Since we are encouraged to reach out to students via phone calls, we can apply the same concept to other colleagues. I have done this repeatedly over the years and it works very effectively because people who work together enjoy when someone else reaches out to him or her.

Fortunately, we have email and voice mail, but to close any type of communication gap, it is helpful to use these tools. Also, it might be helpful to schedule conference calls to get to know other faculty members better. In today's virtual work environment, people must learn how to collaborate even if they are not physically in the same space. Granted, it takes more effort than if teachers were able to see each other everyday physically, but adult education has caused many teachers to have different teaching schedules where they may not always be physically available to each other.

Do not be fooled. People who do work together physically on a regular basis do not necessarily communicate effectively either. It still requires effort and a willingness to reach out to others. I have witnessed that issue in education so when a person is not on campus often, it requires outreach, effort and follow-up to communicate effectively with others.

Sign In to comment