Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Welcome email

I beleive that if you send a welcome email before the first course starts giving them ways to contafct you and making yourself available no matter what time zone they are in. I believe that if they know and understand that they cna contact you anythime it gives them a sense of comfort.

Hello Catherine,
This is a great outreach to the students. Also, providing parameters for reply timeframes would help enhance the expectation.

I feel the welcome email is very important. It helps to first introduce myself through a short BIO and give them a BIO checklist to follow to introduce themselves to the rest of the class. That way each student learns quickly that he or she is not alone. This helps set the stage for the learning environment.

Hi Christopher,
This is in agreement with many verteran online instructors I have encountered. The warm introduction with an immediate call to action that is not too difficult is a successful ice-breaker with most students. What are some of the BIO components you ask of your students?

Dr. S. David Vaillancourt

This is so true,
I actually took an online class and I found out that I was enrolled in a synchronous class rather than a asynchronous class. The way I found out about this mistake, is due to an early email from my instructor before the class started. He stated in his email that a lot of students were enrolled in synchronous classes by mistake in his previous classes. This helped me out a lot that semester. So yes indeed, an early email helps a lot even if it’s just an introduction. Once again great job on your post!

Phillip,
Good story to relay. Thanks for sharing.

I agree with the welcoming email. I like to do it as a "warm welcome" to my new students. I think it may help make them feel a little more at ease. I personally personalize all of my welcome emails. I think it makes the student not feel so much like "just another number/student".

Justine,
The personalized welcome email is a nice touch. What are some of you recommendations to best accomplish that with students who are new to you? Thanks for sharing.

I agree with your position. It is important for the instructor to include their own bio and send a welcoming email to all students enrolled in the course.

Deborah,
This is a very good practice. Many describe it as a humanizing activity. Allowing the student to identify with the instructor. Thanks for your insights.

I agree that sending an introduction email before the first class begins is an excellent way to introduce yourself and start the class off on a good note. The most important aspect of the emails is also responding back to the students in a timely manner so that they feel you are taking an active stand in their education.

Darlene,
Very good. Timely feedback for the e-mails, grading, discussion postings and other activities is critical to establishing and maintaining the classroom relationship. Thank you for sharing your insights.

Sign In to comment