Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online Classese verus face to face

How effective is a instructor online verus face to face contact? I am considering teaching online and want some feedback.

Khaison,

I am not sure exactly what you are looking for; however, I can tell you that most of the research today has shown that online and traditional education produce the same results. The effectiveness of the instructor is an individual thing. The better the instructor prepares for online teaching: learning the tools, developing effective assignments and discussions, and provide quality feedback to the students; the more effective they typically are in online classrooms. I teach both and all of my face to face courses are hybrid because I love the tools and design of online learning. It is a continual learning process for students and instructors.

Herbert Brown III

I have heard many students report prefering face to face verses on line learning? Any suggestions on how to change these perceptions?

Brenda,

You have to determine "why" they feel this way. Is it because they took a class and had a bad experience or is it because they heard someone else say that they had a bad experience? You have to show them the positive sides of quality online courses. You can blend online technologies in your face to face courses to introduce them to these technologies and their benefits as a starting point to begin to break down those negative perceptions.

Herbert Brown III

This is a wonderful thread with great insights! Thanks, everyone, for sharing. My view is the same as Herbert's that learning is (can be) equally effective in both modalities; however, the key difference to keep in mind is that the online modality relies heavily on "cognitive" engagement. That is, it is strictly an intellectual exercise.

Online learning, as it stands tends to neglect certain "emotional and psychological" aspects of engagement in learning. For instance, the current online structure is somewhat sense deprived. Of the five senses (touch, taste, sight, hearing, and smell), leaners are allowed to use one or two (sight and hearing). Learning is social, but can social bonds among learners be formed without engagement of all senses? E.g., can you really get to know someone without the feel of a touch or the sight of a caring nod or approval?

I'm not claiming to have an answer, but just wanted to raise it for this group to consider. Thoughts?

As this course will go on to teach, online learning can be truly effective if done correctly. As a student, I faced a situation where the "online" courses were not the best. As an instructor, I love how my school handles this situation. We include both online and resident portions of the program. Our online portion teaches them something new, but the next week we take a deeper look at that topic during the resident portion. Its like sitting in a kiddie pool of water, then jumping into the deep end of a pool. I wish I had that format as a student. I feel that my students get great information and are given something different every single week.

Ali,

I have found that in the right learning environment students can and do build strong online relationships. I have personally watched students in learning communities and through group assignments build personal relationships that have been almost as strong as in person relationships that last for many years beyond their class connections. I will concede that it is harder and doesn't happen as often as in person connection, but I have personally seen it happen.

Herbert Brown III

Jeremy,

These hybrid models are very popular and are growing at fast rates because they allow you to use your face to face time much more effectively; therefore, "guiding" students to deeper learning.

Herbert Brown III

Jeremy,

These hybrid models are very popular and are growing at fast rates because they allow you to use your face to face time much more effectively; therefore, "guiding" students to deeper learning.

Herbert Brown III

Instead of being the "Sage on the stage", online teachers must be the "Guide on the Side" for their students.

Albert,

That is true. How do you become the "guide on the side" for your students?

Herbert Brown III

Khaison,
I teach both face-to-face and online. As an instructor, there is no difference when it comes to being prepared to teach the class. In a face-to-face class, there is more interaction between instructor and students. The instructor can get a feel of each student’s attitude about learning or life in general. In an online class, it can be difficult to interact with students. There are students who turn in all assignments but do not respond to emails or return phone calls. These students think that as long as they get good grades there is no need to interact with the instructor.

Vivian

Vivian ,

So do you think we should "force" them to interact with us and their fellow students to build the important social aspect of learning, or do you believe we should just leave them alone because they are getting their work done? Just curious, there can be a lot said for building a sense of community in our students to help them feel more connected with their learning and their classmates.

Herbert Brown III

I have used both methods as an instructor and a student. I think in some ways it depends on the class...but in my opinion learning is learning and if the information is provided in an organized way and the instructor support is there online is just if not more effective. Some students lacking confidence strive in an online environment as they are more willing to participate. Another plus is the flexibility of classes...when students are ready to learn and not forced in a "timeframe" this can be a plus. The only CON are the less motivated students that will not adhere to a schedule they create themselves or those what are not as computer savvy.

Linda,

I have also found both environments to be effective for learning. As you note, some students do excel in online while others struggle. Students should assess themselves and whether they have the organization and motivational skills to be successful online.

Herbert Brown III

I don't have an answer for you since I haven't yet experienced teaching online. The posts to your questions give great insight, and some have commented that the effectiveness has to do with the class taught. So I am wondering if anyone has had the personal experience of teaching online when it comes to classes more hands-on like Art, Graphic/Web Design, or teaching someone how to use specific software. I just can't quite wrap my head around how you teach them to use their core software programs (like Photoshop) through an online course. How would that really be different then just finding a great book on their own and teaching themselves? Is this where video resources come in and if so is it usually expected that you as the instructor make these resources yourself? It's just mind-boggling to me to envision how a class like this might work and how much prep-time it would take to convert it to online.

Amanda,

I teach these exact courses online and rather effectively (as noted by the student feedback). I have taught these with the assistance of a textbook and without. Both ways have been effective. With both forms I have created my own specific video recordings of key concepts and methods. I offer myself for live help sessions and STRONGLY encourage those students that are having trouble with early concepts such as FTP and file management (in web development). Some students need more hand holding than others, but I find that students adapt very well with hands-on class online. I will reiterate the importance of video (multimedia) elements in these courses. Consistently the students tell me the videos are the most effective learning tools for them. Most students watch the videos many times through to reinforce the concepts in their learning.

Herbert Brown III

In my discipline (mathematics), students tend to have a problem with the online platform in that they feel that it is difficult to help quickly or to have someone online answer specific questions. My experience is that blended classroom or an onground class with web enhancement tends to give the best of both worlds.

The face to face interaction goes further to help the student get specific questions answered, but with the online platform, the student can go through activities multiple times, which can go quite far to help them get the concept. I have known other instructors to use Skype for the one on one, but that might be somewhat involved.

Stanley,

Online video conferencing tools such as Skype are great tools to provide students with one on one help. I find that I can spend a day communicating by email to never get an issue resolved, then I can connect in Skype and have the issues resolved in 5 minutes.

Herbert Brown III

Linda,
Like you I've also been an online student and instructor. I did very well in my online courses when the instructor was visible. I remember when posting in my threaded discussions each week. The instructor would respond directly to me and several of the other students.

Online students must always feel the presence of the instructor. If they don't they sometimes become disconnected or feel alienated.

Sign In to comment