Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Mental Preparation

It is easy, or at least sounds so, that something as simple as mentally being prepared can contribute to the success of a course. Granted, there are those instructors out there, many of which teach on-line courses as extra-work or income aside from their full-time obligations. Also, sometimes this work is taken from the perspective of "just go through the motions" type of mentality. Mentally preparing, with interest and intent, and many other factors, would make for great research initiatives.

Hi,
You make a great point that it is important to be in the right frame of mind when teaching an online course. The student on the receiving end doesn't know anything about the other aspects of your life that may be distracting nor should they. You have to put that aside and focus completely on making that interaction positive and productive for the student.

Eleanor,
You mentioned that the students shouldn't know that there are other aspects of your life that may be distracting. I agree for the most part, but I have found my students are very appreciative at getting a glimpse into the fact that I too am human. It's perfectly acceptable to let them know you have a challenge this week due to kids schedules, work, or whatever that other something is that shows you have to balance life just like they do. For me, that part of the mental preparation works to help me put it in perspective with the added benefit of allowing the student to see me as a real person and not another part of the mechanical process. How do you let student's see that side of you if you don't let them know about the other aspects of your life?
Melissa

Hi Eleanor and Melissa -
I agree with both of you, as I think the methodology of student-to-instructor interaction varies according to instructor. I have witnessed some absolutely mind-bogglingly stellar instructors who share little to no of their personal lives, but come to each class (or attend each online session) prepared and ready to deliver outstanding course content. On the other hand, I've had instructors who use the class as a platform to share their opinions and interests with course content being slighted. I think it's important, in both mental preparation and in facilitating any course, to stay true to your teaching persona, and teach the best way you know how, whether that means sharing your personal life or not. I will say, however, that my students always seem to love to hear about my life and, like Melissa said, they see me as a "human" and warm up to me much more as their instructor that way.

Sign In to comment