Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Introduction Discussion-Forming a Sense of Community

I have found that adding an "Introduction Discussion Thread" in the first week of class allows students the opportunity to form a "community" within the class that makes them feel at ease. The first post of a BIO by the instructor will allow the students a way to interact with the instructor on a personal basis. The instructor's BIO will also set the tone for students to post their information and respond to others. Forming a sense of community in the class is an important part of an online class experience and can help each student feel that they belong. On a personal note, what would you want to share with your students in your BIO?

Jean,

I typically share a combination of elements. I share some professional background relevant to the course content to show students my experience with the content. I share some personal aspects about myself and my family and some about hobbies. These are elements that help the students realize you are human and gives them some potential factors to connect with you about.

Herbert Brown III

I really like the idea of starting a thread that allows students to introduce themselves to the class, and have used it frequently in my classes. I would like to share one thing I have done recently to get students to not just read one another's bios, but also to begin to interact with one another from the start of the class.

Here is the thread I start:

"I thought I would
give everyone the opportunity to write an "about me" post so that we learn a
little about one another before the first discussion board assignments are
due. If you are so inclined, let us know something about your educational
background, work experiences, and/or personal interests/hobbies.

To make it more
fun and interactive, you might give three pieces of information about
yourself. Make one tidbit a fib and the other two pieces of information
truthful. Be as imaginative as you like!!! As a class, we can then work to get
at which pieces of information are truthful, and which are not."

What I have found is that students both like to post these truthful/not-truthful bios about themselves and that they enjoy the challenge of figuring out which tidbits on the thread are "fibs." Overall, I think this technique is useful in setting a tone for community as well as in fostering high levels of student interaction with one another. Since this thread is not graded, it also allows students to begin to interact with one another in a low-stress forum.

Melissa,

Great idea Melissa! I can see how the students would be highly motivated to interact with one another.

Herbert Brown III

I like to list my mission trips and work in the dental forensic field with my students to show them that being a dental professional opened doors for me and I got to travel as well.

Janice,

That is great. Anytime you can add these personal elements it really helps the students connect with the course, content, and the instructor.

Herbert Brown III

Sign In to comment