Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Assisting online students

I have a passion for and love teaching online courses. I know that the online environment can be daunting for some students and like to make the CMS as easy as possible to navigate.

I like the fact that our institution uses the same design for all of the courses that are offered to our students. The content is obviously different but the navigation of each course is similar.

I have found that once a student is familiar with the CMS and has a professional relationship with the instructor that they (the students) gain the confidence to be successful in all courses.

Well said Kim!

Kim,

Being available for online students really helps the student feel connected. I was an online student myself and I always thought it was funny that I had such opinions about teachers even though I had never met them in person. Even through a computer, you can tell who cares and who doesn't.
Trisha

Great point Trisha. Even though we are reaching out via technology, it can still have a positive and lasting impression on our students.

I've got to agree with you wholeheartedly, Kim. As an online student myself for many years, I found that to be true. It's the reason why I not only finished with the school I started and became comfortable with, but returned to them for my graduate programs.

D.B.

Trisha

This is only my second term to teach an online class, and I have been suprised that I know my students much better than I thought I would. After teacher for over seventeen years in a traditional environment, I did not know what to expect from an online class. I find that it is quite different, but quite rewarding and more personal than I thought it would be.

Rebecca

Do you have some specific examples of how you reach out to your students to get to know them Rebecca?

Michele, I can answer that! In live chat, I begin by leaving the first few minutes open--really open--to student discussion about anything! I also ask some not too invasive but nonetheless personal questions. It's amazing how that relaxed atmosphere sets a positive tone for the more focused chat that follows!

Great suggestions on how to encourage participation in a live chat! Thanks for sharing your ideas with the group.

The same is true when teaching in a classroom. We must start off professionally and cordially in order to create the best possible learning environment for our students and ourselves. We must explain any necessary knowledge in advance to fend off issues of understanding course material down the line. We must be there for our students in order to answer questions and deliver feedback. This is all essential as we move forward in teaching online courses or those that are in physical classrooms.

Being there for our students is important, regardless of whether we are teaching in a residential classroom or an online classroom. And certainly creating the appropriate learning environment is key. Thanks for your comments Beth.

I completely agree with you. I think irganization is also key. I have taken online courses that were so disorganized it was frustrating. When things are well organized,m students dont feel like they are wasting time trying to find things such as where to post assignments, where particular discussion threads are, etc.

Organization is an important part of teaching--both online and residential. It is easier on the students as well as the teacher!

Thanks for your post Alicia.

Michele

Sign In to comment