Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Teaching a Hybrid Course

Hi, I am a new online instructor. I will be teaching a Hybrid Course (partial traditional classroom/partial online). Has anyone taught a course of this nature? What are some of the instructor pitfalls to be aware of with this type of a course?

Ravie:
I defer your inquiry to other students in the course. I have never taught a hybrid course; however, my feeling is that it will be easier to manage that a total online class.

Ravie, in regards to pitfalls, I really do not see anything new to be aware of beyond what we have covered in this course. Whatever we covered in this course applies to the online portion of your hybrid course; your teacher-training should prepare you well to manage the on-the-ground portion of the course.

My advice to you is to follow the recommendations we have provided and prepare yourself well for the onlinbe portion of the course, especially if you did not write the course. Managing the online portion is likely to be your greater challenge as this is your first time teaching in an online environment.
Satrohan

Thank you Satrohan. I will def. apply what I am learning in this course to my hybrid class. Great information!

I am also a new online instructor teaching anatomy and physiology (60% online and 40% classroom). How do you suggest I split the course up? In your opinion, would it be best to cover the material online and use the classroom session as a review or cover new material in both settings?

Mark:
These are my suggestions. I am assuming that there are some practical aspects of the learning. Cover the theory based materials online. Administer any assessment of theoretical knowledge online. Make use of the technology to cover demonstrations, complete simulations and other illustrations that are done more effectively using multimedia than static media as one would find in a text book. Use the classroom session as a review, to ansswer questions, provide clarification on misconceptions, and to teach concepts students have expressed they are having difficulty with. If there are practical aspects, those should be covered in the face-to-face environment.
Satrohan

I taught Advanced Human Physiology as a hybrid for a year. I also designed the course which was key to making it work for my style and my student's needs.

I structured the course such that students were with me 2 hours a week during which time I conducted highly interactive labs, case studies, as well as discussions/lectures over material that was not in the text but rather brought about "real-world" application to the items they read prior to the class session (I am a practicing ICU nurse and I was teaching nursing students).

The online side of the course consisted of open-book assessments structured to force students to explore the chapters in depth, related video, interactive online tutorials, and case study pre-readings. Their outside commitment was generally 10-15 hours a week.

Sign In to comment