Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Timeframe for completing online course

If a course is taught online and that same course is taught in a traditional classroom during the a semester, should they have the same timeframe for completion? We are considering offering a few classes online in the fall. We will also be offering those same classes in a traditional classroom setup. Should the classes be consistent with the same start date, assignment dates and exam dates, and end date? Is that reasonable or does it matter?

Also, the number of credits for a course is dependent upon the percentage of contact lecture hours vs. lab hours. Would a course that is taught online have the same number of credits as the course being taught in the tradtional classroom? Is this something that is determined by the accrediting agency of the school?

Mary:
My recommendations are as follows:

The timeframe should be the same.

Starting date, due dates for assignments, and end date for the course should all be the same.

These recommendations are based on the assumption thatthe content domain for the course is the same for both settings.

By keeping these factors the same, the number of credits should also be the same.
Satrohan

I agree, consistancy will help keep the courses' integrity

I will be teaching my first online course soon. Our online course's time frame is half of what the time frame is for the same traditional classroom course. Honestly, this is confusing to me. It seems that having the same start dates, end dates, assignment dates, and exam dates would be much easier for everybody involved-administration, instructors, and students. This is a question I plan to ask my online mentor;I am sure our online coordinators have a valid reason and justification for it.

This is an interesting phenomena, Gayle. I do not know the level of the institution at which you will be teaching and at what level; nevertheless, i will share with you possible explanations for the shortening of the course for graduate programs.

The first is to remain competitive with othe rinstitutions which offer the same program.

The second is to increase the number of offerings per year; thereby, hopefully increasing revenue; but woefully can lead to exhausting the target population earlier which could lead to a decline in enrollments

The third is reduction in the cost of Instructors.

Big Question
Having said all of this Gayle, there is a bigger issue we have to consider when we reduce the duration of the course. Can you tell me what it is? If you were a student, what would be some questions that coem to your mind when you hear that the duration of the course has been reduced to half?

While I support the new notion that the old 10, 20, 30 to one contact to quarter credit hour award may be a little outdated, I strongly hold that online MUST not be a short cut to a degree. This perception is why some stakeholders, especially employers, do not view online education in as high regard as "on ground." When you leave the world of contact to credit hour award, you must use a purely outcomes based assessment. While highly desirable, this is much easier to say than do. I know of very little reason to believe an online student can learn the same materials, thus satisfy course and program objectives, significantly faster online. The only savings may come from diving and parking :-)

Jim:
I am not familiar with the notion that pertains to 'contact to quarter credit award"; nevertheless, I follow your argument clearly. I have maintained the same conclusion---perhaps the greatest benefit of online learning is the convenience of taking it from any location facilitated by interent connection.
Satrohan

Sign In to comment