Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Transferring class Computer Based Instruction for to online course

I currently teach Microsoft office courses and other classes in the traditional method. We are go to transfer the courses into an Online environment. The difficulty I am having is that I lecture through the course as well as show provide visual work through of what I am lecturing. I have been tasked to create the course while teaching a live class. As I have different levels of student performers it is difficult to go through without having a lot of stopping and student questions while trying to record the class and record all of the strokes at the same time.
What suggestions do you have on how I can accomplish this task and make it meaningful for the online student.

Rhonda:
I am addressing both portions of your question. In regards tocreating the course, i recommend that you convert your lecture portion to a text-based lecture supported by screen captures, call outs, and a printable version of all steps for all procedures. You can alos incorporate audio segments. If the rate of internet transmission students have is not a problem, and the Course Delivery Platform supports video-steaming, you can incorporate the videos at strategic points in the online course. If transmission rates could pose a problem, you will have to revert to placing the video content on a CD or DVD.

There are two measures you can take to accommodate different levels of students. The first is to ensure that they have the prerequisites for your course. If they do not, you may want to recommend additional tutorials. A survey to identify students entry levels as they pertain to the objectives of your course would also help you to identify the areas in which additional tutorials will have to be provided. I suggest that you reflect on the questions students have been asking in your traditional classroom setting and use those to create a lsit of FAQs and answers to which you provide student access.
Satrohan

I had not thought of the CD or DVD to use as course materials that could be issued to the student to aid e in the course delivery.
The FAQ's would be a great supplement to the course as students tend to ask the same questions during each course. I could start building the FAQs and adding to them as time passes.

Rhonda:
CDs and DVDs add to the production costs as well as time. They also have an impact if their content has to be modified at a later time.

yet, many institutions use them, and include them as part of the "student-pack"-----textbook and other course materials distributed to students.

On a further note, you may want to research the internet for materials to support your course----materials in the Public Domain.
Satrohan

You need a good editor to pull your recorded material together in such a way that it appears to be seamless & eliminates all of the Q&A time.

In addition, some well chosen Q&A mixed throughout that are well placed & edited well will add to the learning experience.

Tom:
Your suggestion about using an Editor is a good one. To that I may add an Editor with exprience in the Publishing industry. Question fro you:

Do you think that an Instructional Designer with strong editing skills is a better choice?
Satrohan

I can definitely sympathize with you; creating an online program is never as easy as everyone thinks it's going to be! When we created our online program, we wanted it to be as hands-on as possible. We found the best way to do this was to use as many multimedia techniques as possible, in order to accommodate students' learning styles. Our program features a "video instructor" who narrates the text, demonstrates examples of real-life situations faced by managers, and leads reviews of all practice exercises. The program also uses voiceover, interactive graphics, PDF textbooks, and hands-on exercises (the students pause the instructor so they can work at their own pace).

Question: Do you think all online programs should include some sort of mandatory student feedback, where the students can rate the interactivity of the program and give suggestions?

Arzu:
Your are certainly privileged to have the resourcs to build such a robust course. The answer to your Question is Yes.
Satrohan

Well, we started from scratch. It took about two years of development before we launched the program. Just like your program points out, though, if all the basic elements you need to succeed are there, your program is going to be well-received.

Sign In to comment