Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Course to course variation?

I've taught for several schools, and multiple topics outside of schools such as welding, diving, sailing, etc. While this experience has shown me that it is not possible or feasible to have every course or module follow the same patterns, I have experienced feedback from students expressing appreciation that courses within the same set follow similar frameworks.

The challenge comes in with contemporary degree paths, do ALL courses utilize the same template initially, do we split out Gen-Ed from the 'core' courses and allow each it's own template, or does each course get it's own in it's entirety?

Trip Bauer

Kurt,

Typically depends on the school or unit. We try to be consistent but are not always consistent. We do not have a mandated template but I know some schools that do. Thanks for your input.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

The course framework makes students comfortable with the class structure. My experience has been that students appreciate following a similar roadmap in this courses. However, if you throw a wrench into the system with a change or addition, be prepare to provide assistance and guidance to get students through a new activity or change.
Dr. Bari Courts

Bari,

An effective framework helps students understand the structure and organization of the course. This also helps students more toward achieving learning outcomes. Thanks for your input.

Hi Bari,

I have to agree with you. I am currently teaching courses while completing my doctorate coursework, so I can see this from both ways. It is a lot easier for the instructor to maintain the same framework, but also creates a harmonious environment for students. It only confuses students when there are too many changes, so consistency in this manner is ideal.

Katrina Wahlstrom

I think its important to have some variation in the courses so that students remain stimulated and interested. There must also, however be consistency. A few new things introduced keeps the course interesting and exciting. The consistence comes in format, expectations, relational assignments so that students see the interconnections, and integraion of some key concepts/content from the previous module. This is, of course, assuming that both courses are a part of an academic path (major).

Katrina and Bari,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Consistence is very much the key in a great online environment. Thanks again.

Eleanor,

Variation is good. The more we offer content in a variety of ways, the more we "hit" different learning styles of the students. Good job.

The courses at a schoolshould have theb same frame work, so the students are not learning a new process with each course. This wghy instructor trainging is very important.

william,

There is a lot to be said about consistency in navigation and looks. Thanks for your input.

I consider course to course variation different from allowing different learning styles.

Different learning styles is often hampered and constrained by the LMS and the format of the assignments. I have found that audio learners can be overly challenged if audio/visuals and live chats are not used.

Albert,

You are right. Sometimes we have to work around a LMS or certain limitations of technology to get the content to the students in the desired fashion. Thanks for sharing.

It is important that the course framework is easy to follow and understand so that students know what to expect and can succeed.

Dara,

Yes, when the students understand the expecations as they are clearly described/communicated to them, they can then reach those goals.

Thanks!

Because I teach at different schools, I have thought about this a lot. I think within a school or program it is important to have some level of consistency. It is helpful when classes are organized into similar number of modules and when requirements for discussion board posts, citing references, and other assignments are similar. I think is also helpful when late and extension policies are the same across the board in one program. It means the students know what to expect and the predictability gives them a certain level of comfort.

Suzanne,

I agree. Consistency is the look and feel of online courses also helps the school "brand" themselves. Students are likely to come back to a brand if they were successful. Thanks.

Sign In to comment