Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Course Revisions

I wonder if course revisions are also dependent upon the student cohort. In other words, if it is noted that the student are not familiar with material from a prerequisite course,then would it be necessary to provide remediation from the prerequisite course?

Esther,

Absolutely. The students are our audience and we have to know our audience before we can offer the appropriate content. Thanks!

I feel if the student is not familiar with the material there needs to be some prerequisite for the course. If I feel they need extra work to understand what is being taught I would talk to them by e-mail and help them with what is troubling them to get them back on track.

Linda,

Various students may need a prerequisite course or just a basic review. It's good to provide options. Thanks!

When looking at whether to revise a course, or even just a question, I often consider the student cohort, but I look for patterns from more than 1 cohort. Is there a question that many students tend to receive low grades? I try to determine if the students do not understand the topic, if the question is not clear or the rubric is not clear. Was there a topic that is consistently misunderstood? Then I need to adjust my time on that topic to better explain the concept. Is the assignment requiring too much work for the time period (group projects too early in the course)? I look to whether the assignment can be moved to a different week to allow students sufficient time for response.

Louise,

You are looking at many different aspects and hat is essential to the continual revision process. Keep up the good work.

If the course has pre-requisites, then review in the first unit help those who had the pre-requisites recently or long time ago. Self-assessment material can also be provided to allow students evaluate their readiness for taking the course.

Taghreed,

Excellent idea. Review he pre-reqs.to determine their knowledge. This can be in one or two sessions or you can develop a pre-test. Thanks.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

Sign In to comment