Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Peer Review

I have never been a fan of peer review. I cannot help but wonder about privacy issues. Depending on the topic of the assignment it could cause problems for students in the future because of student comments later.

Janis,

Hmmm - I'm guessing there is a trust issue there. We must have peer reviews to earn promotion and tenure. No way around it. We view it as a "suggestion environment" instead of an evaluative environment. That helps.

Janis,
Not sure what you teach, but I really truly feel in the Graphic Design, Illustration, Web Design, Animation, Game Design fields peer review is just as important as my critiques to students. Therefore I truly encourage my students to give comments in writing and during live chat critiques to their peers. Sometimes a student sees something different than I or the original designer sees so their feedback is important for that student designer.
I also feel the more feedback the better, or should say the more specific thorough feedback the better. I encourage my students to say why instead of just "good job".
I do see your point about depending on the topic at hand this could actually cause problems for the student if the information/feedback given is wrong.
Thanks,
Kelly

Kelly,

Peer reviews are essential in all fields and students can learn so much from their peers. However, feedback does have to be meaningful and not just a few key phrases. Thanks!

Sign In to comment