Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Robert,

Well, keep trying to find something positive. Maybe it's better than the last time or "Thanks for continuing to try!" ;-)

Thanks again.

Three important things to remember when developing a meaningful feedback are:

1. Connecting the feedback to learning objectives or rubrics: This is extremely important not just for the student, but also for the instructor. It is essential for the instructor to judge how much the student has learnt in the area of the learning object. For the student, it is extremely important to know how his/her work has been evaluated against the learning object. Such feedback becomes a very transparent and honest assessment of the student's work and will not have any ambiguity in student's mind. This will eliminate unnecessary questions in the mind of the student.

2. Be positive with constructive criticism in the feedback: This not only motivates student to keep connected with the course, but also inspires them to stretch themselves a little more with efforts in terms of research, real business examples, etc., to make his/her assignments/projects meaningful. I have had extremely good experience with students by motivating them work harder and harder to make their assignments/projects more meaningful.

3. Provide timely feedback. This is extremely important for the instructor to be on top of the game. This is to make sure that the students don't keep reminding the instructor to provide the feedback and grades on time. This will greatly help to create a pleasant experience for the students, and positively impacts their assessment of the instructor.

Thanks,
Sunil

Three important things to remember when developing a meaningful feedback are:

1. Connecting the feedback to learning objectives or rubrics: This is extremely important not just for the student, but also for the instructor. It is essential for the instructor to judge how much the student has learnt in the area of the learning object. For the student, it is extremely important to know how his/her work has been evaluated against the learning object. Such feedback becomes a very transparent and honest assessment of the student's work and will not have any ambiguity in student's mind. This will eliminate unnecessary questions in the mind of the student.

2. Be positive with constructive criticism in the feedback: This not only motivates student to keep connected with the course, but also inspires them to stretch themselves a little more with efforts in terms of research, real business examples, etc., to make his/her assignments/projects meaningful. I have had extremely good experience with students by motivating them work harder and harder to make their assignments/projects more meaningful.

3. Provide timely feedback. This is extremely important for the instructor to be on top of the game. This is to make sure that the students don't keep reminding the instructor to provide the feedback and grades on time. This will greatly help to create a pleasant experience for the students, and positively impacts their assessment of the instructor.

Thanks,
Sunil

Sunil,

Timely feedback that is positive and helps students achieve the learning outcomes is essential. You have provided a great description. Thank you.

(1) Feedback is personalized
(2) It focuses on strength as well as weaknesses
(3) It explains where there is opportunity to improve and sources for learning/improvement

Important components of feedback include a timely response, individual attention and clear grading rubrics to support the feedback.

I believe the feedback should match the type of assignment and projects, that the feedback should be specific and personal, and should refer back to objective rubrics.

Sunil,

Positive feedback that is connected to the learning outcomes is essential to help the students improve. Thanksnformyour input.

Gauri ,

The personalization of the feedback makes it more meaningful. This makes it easier for students to learn and improve upon their mistakes.

Thanks.

Byron ,

The rubrics you use should be clear and help students understand the expectations. This along with positive, meaningful feedback will help the students succeed. Thanks.

One thing that I think students find very important is to know where exactly they lost their points.

I think it is also important to use the feedback as a teaching opportunity. We can point out where the information can be found that the student was missing, for example.

The biggest thing for me is that the feedback have substance. A "good job" isn't enough. They should be told what exactly they did good-pointing out specifics. And then again being very specific about what could have been better.

Bob,

I have to agree with you on this one. There are times where it is impossible to make a compliment. I would also consider it insincere to make a compliment when a student has done nothing worth complimenting.

I believe that the three important things to remember when developing a meaningful feedback are:

1) Feedback should be timely. With many online courses taking place in an accelerating environment (as short as 5 weeks) it is crucial to give the students an opportunity to improve.

2) Feedback must be detailed and formative. My students always receive a personalized response and a rubric.

3) Feedback must be objective. Students must be graded fairly and the rubric is a great tool to ensure this.

Lisa,

Feedback and the assignment should be connected. The items you mentioned ate connected to meaningful feedback. Keep up the good work. Thanks for your input.

Josh,

Right. Students need to understand why points are deducted during the evaluation process and rubrics provide that understanding. Thanks!

robert,

Then make sure your constructive criticism is on target and helps students meet the learning outcomes. Thanks.

robert,

Timely, constructive feedback that is connected to the learning objectives is the way to help students succeed. Nice job.

Students await eagerly and respond accordingly to feedback. Feebback is extremely important. Feedback should start off positive, then follow up with what they can in improve in: timliness, effort,prepardness, etc. Feedback is also a teaching moment. I think as an instructor we are not performing our job properly if the students cannot walk without having something to build off of when doing their next task.

Denise,

You are so right. The feedback we provide to students should help them improve and grow as they strive to reach the learning outcomes. Thanks for your input.

When developing meaningful feedback for assignments / projects integrated into my own online course, I believe the three most important things to remember are to frame the feedback in a positive, constructive way, provide specific suggestions for a better solution, in the case of dialogue with the student demonstrate authentic listening.

Sign In to comment