Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Self and Peer Assessment

I am concerned that peer assessment exposes students to their peers shortcomings and errors. Could this defeat the purpose of learning from one another and encouraging one another?

Esther,

Good point. Typically I do peer assessment without using any students' names. I take the names off of everything and "distribute" them to others. The students use the same rubric that I would use to assess their work and they complete the rubric, do NOT list their name as the peer reviewer, and I redistribute. Works well and they get more than my feedback. I use the rubric for self-assessment as well. Thanks!

Reasonable question. One one side, that will DEFINITELY happen. Then again, it also happens in bricks and mortar classrooms, even more often (when facial expressions and other quasi-verbal communications are as loud as words).

So what we want to happen is that the overall impact is much more positive and collaborative, which is actually pretty easy to make happen (in both environments) if we stay on top of things and make sure to construct good, structured interactions situations.

Kevin

Kevin,

Staying on top of things sounds easier than it is. ;-) Thanks for your input in this forum.

Sign In to comment