Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Developing Meaningful Feedback

When developing meaningful feedback for assignments/projects integrated into your own online course, what do you believe are the three most important things to remember?

Meaningful feedback is critical for the student's growth and understanding. I would say the three most important things in meaningful feedback is linking the feedback to course objectives, pointing out specifically the things that the student did well and pointing out specifically the things the student could do to improve their work. Any criticism should be meaningful, specific and gentle. It is important to be encouraging while correcting mistakes or deficiencies. It is also helpful to recognize improvements in future weeks so that feedback is continuous throughout the process and not isolated week by week.

Catherine,

Meaningful feedback helps students improve and it's our goal to help all students improve. Thanks and keep your ideas flowing through this forum.

I believe in the sandwich rule. It important, to recognize the effort of the student. Give very specific examples of areas of improvement and what they can do going forward. I think students need a plan. The question quite often is what do we do for the next assignment. Give them the details of how to apply the information and correction to the next assignment.

Quiana,

Right one. It's good to give positive with some constructive feedback. Our goal is to help them improve.

Thanks!

The three most important components of meaningful feedback are:
1) link the feedback to the objectives
2) Point out the positives in order to encourage the student, and
3) Providing criticism for improvement.

Kenneth,

Right on! Tie that feedback to the objectives and help the student learn. You are on track with your comments. Thanks for your input.

When providing student feedback, it's important to start with a positive comment about the work they submitted. This positive feedback should be global (focused on ideas and content), not local (grammar, spelling, etc). The feedback should also be personalized and specific to the content. Address the student by name and point out specific statements or images that resonated with you. Finally, I always like to provide a link or resource (book, documentary, etc) that will encourage the student to continue learning on their own.

Connecting with students and encouraging them to continue learning takes the feedback focus off of points earned and turns that focus, more appropriately, to continued growth and development.

Joy,

Right on - you're discussing the sandwich approach to feedback. Positive - Meat - Positive. I also like that you're linking it to a resource. Good job. This will help the students improve.

I think feedback should clear, timely, and specific to the assignment.

Hello –

It is important to provide feedback that is constructive, non-controlling, and informative. The feedback has to be conveyed in a positive manner, that is easy to understand. For example, in cases where the student has done poorly, offer suggestions on how to quickly improve, setting aside time for school, having a flexible schedule that allows a student to be part of the class and participate timely in the assignments. This will enhance the students' desire to improve and continue to learn. Additionally, whenever a problem arises, it should be viewed as something to be addressed and not a statement about an individual's worth.

Thank you,
Dawn

Dr. Thomas,

Excellent words to use when discussing feedback. Right on.

Thanks for your input.

Dawn,

You use key words to describe appropriate feedback: positive, constructive, informative, etc. This type of feedback will help students improve. Thanks for your input.

Hello,

(1) Always encourage the work in the student they did complete. If you're grading something, then they have done at least some work, and that work may have been very difficult to them. Encouraging them in the work they did complete can pay big dividends.

(2) Remark on their incorrect answers. I teach math, so I always mark the incorrect homework questions and give them the correct answer (although not necessarily the solution method). This way they know what they have done right and what they have done wrong. Some students think they understand a concept, but the only way they know they need to improve is because the homework reveals it.

(3) I point out the one or two important concepts that they need to master before moving on. Not every concept is equally important, but some are foundational for future material. This is something the instructor may understand, but the student unable to discern. Identifying and explaining a key concept that will recur through out the course can save the student time and make the difference between their success and their giving up.

Best,
Brain STout

Brian,

Your discussion on teaching math helps me emphasize that many times feedback, communication, etc. helps determine how feedback is provided and how we respond to students. With math, you have to remark on their incorrect answers, but I like taht you encourage the work in the students they did complete. Thanks for your input.

In order to develop meaningful feedback, it is important to have a relationship with your students. If you are "human" to them and not just someone on the other end of the computer, then they will be more receptive to feedback. It is also important to communicate feedback clearly. Sometimes, it may come in the form of an e-mail or post but sometimes it may require a discussion through a phone call. Also, asking students questions, "Why did you do it this way?" or "Why do you say that?" allows the instructor to understand the students' thought processes and then respond accordingly.

Amie,

The meaningful feedback will help develop that relationship. When you provide individualized feedback to help students improve, they realize you are trying to help them improve. Thanks for your input.

I have spent a lot of time preparing rubrics as part of my course development duties and I have also written my own program to develop, store and use rubrics. My program provides feedback to which I add personal and constructive comments, and I believe the three most important parts of feedback are:

1. Tell the students what they did right.
2. Tell the students what they did not do right.
3. Tell the students how they can improve.

Kurt

Kurt,

Sounds like you're the "go to guy" when it comes to rubrics. Keep up the good work.

Thanks!

When working with my students I always am positive about their input and encourage them at all times. I try to be timely by evaluating their work within 72 hours of it being submitted. I do remind a student on an individual basis about the proper use of grammar, spelling ans sentence structure with their written assignments.

Sign In to comment