Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Authentic Assessment

Looking for the outcome from the learning is why we give tests

Brian,
Can tests always assess the outcome? Perhaps there are more demonstrations of skills required as well...

Dr. Ruth Reynard

A more pratical way is to give a hands on test or lab test where we are able toasses learnig in a shop or actual fiels setting. i call it application testing we test there knoweledge by having them perform a task adn evaluate it.

kevin,
Yes, observe and evaluate demonstrations of knowledge and skill - great ideas!

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I get to assess student learning all the time we just hope that the knowledge give was recieved ok. the best way to test in the enviroment I'm in is a hands on method which is testing the knowledge they will be using in a real life senario

As instructors there has to be both. We need to assess theory and practical. Both need to be learned, and retained.

Jeffrey,

Ye/ the theory informs the practise - without the theory , practise fades.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

We have to have some way to assess the classroom knowledge in order to have accountability from the students, but lab assessment is going to prove the end result of their learning of real world skills.

Thomas,
What ideas do you have regarding assessment of learing outside a lab? What methods do you currently use? Having a variety of methods in place will mean that more of your students will be successful...

Dr. Ruth Reynard

We still use multiple choice questions here. Part of the reason for this is that the industry certification testing is inline with this type of questions. This way, our testing also prepares them for those exams. I would like to see a format that would be more effective at seeing if the students are understanding the subject matter than what we have. That would also affect the way I teach my courses.

Thomas,
Yes, online testing can help prepare students for other tests, however, thinking creatively about various scenarios, case studies, presentations, demonstrations etc. will help to develop more diverse opportunities for your students.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I believe that there are other assessments. I recall studying the wrong material for a test. According to the assessment, I didn't learn anything. However, I knew ALL of the material that I studied.

I also believe students can have "A HA" moments long after an assessment and even a class. Learning may need to marinate in the students mind and application comes at a later point.

M Boddy

Michelle,
I agree...new methods are needed to trul assess learning. Sharing any ideas you have would be helpful for others in the course...you can post ideas in the forum on teaching in the Faculty Lounge as well.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

We like to give a lab practical test which will allow us to see if the student is able to take the information they learned along with the many times of being able to practice on and be able to perform the task in the lab.....such as being able to machine a drum or a rotor or being able to disassemble and reassemble a drum brake assembly.

CORY,
This kind of demonstration evaluation is critical for skill-based learning. Good example...

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Michelle:
Excellent! You make some great points here.
I, too, remember being in that situation where I studied the “wrong material” for a test. And, like you, I remember feeling like, “But I knew all the stuff that I knew!” However, that didn’t help me with the assessment.
Sometimes I think students that do well are students who understand what *we* see as important—or the things that we as instructors are really keyed in on—and they know to study that material, as that is what we are more likely to include on examinations.
I remember when I was in law school having a particularly brilliant colleague who pretty much told me what was going to be on our constitutional law exam. And since I “trusted his brilliance,” I studied in just those areas he pointed out. He was right, and I did quite well. However, there might have been a student who studied a wider range of subject matter from the class who actually learned more—while not doing as well on the exam.
It is a tricky deal, to be sure.
Best,
Mica

mica,
Great points! I agree that doing well in any course includes being able to "read" the instructor and what he or she is focusing on and requiring. Back in the UK (where I'm from) we used to be able to see "past" tests or exams so that we could see the kinds of questions the professor would be asking. This is a great way to help students learn more about the particulars of the instructor and his/her style.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Sign In to comment