Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Encountering students who are not tech savvy

It is true that many of those who take classes online use various online tools and are comfortable with them. However, I am now frequently encountering students who are going to school online because they cannot find time to do so on-ground, and they barely know how to save a computer file,perform tasks on computers one way, and do not understand simple functions such as uploading a document to the drop box, attaching a document to an email, chatting or instant messaging. Does anyone know best practices for getting these students where they need to be without scaring them off or overwhelming them?

Samantha,
The good news is that new technology is intuitive as it was built on user expectations and needs. Therefore, once students experience the technology the learning takes place fairly quickly. I would say, however, the more support you can offer, the better.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Samantha,

I have also been overwhelmed by the growing number of students that seem to be "scared" of technology and can do little more than log in to their class. They are not able to open more than one page at a time, do not understand or have access to the various office products (Word, Excel, etc.), do not know how to use email or find their messages to read them. They also are not able to read the feedback you provide to them. One of the biggest assets I've found in this situation is the advisors. At my school, the advisors do help students with navigation. It has also been recommended by faculty that students must do an orientation class that would assess the skills needed to properly navigate an online classroom.

At our college all online students take an online orientation and we have online student services staff that assist those students.

Same at my campus Lilia. Students must pass a short online orientation course that is included at the end of our Introduction to Computers course requirement for all students. This helps make sure all students at least have basic computers skills before they are allowed to attempt a full online course. This works for us only because we are mostly an on ground school and the Intro course is on ground. I don't know how you could expect a student who lacks basic computer skills to pass an online class. There must be screening process to assess the student's computer literacy and skills before allowing them to enroll in an online course. How is this done at your school?

I introduce certain techniques that students will need for successful completion of the class right from the beginning. That way, they can focus on what is needed specifically for a given course.

Harry,
I think we still should make sure our students are familiar with the technology and its capabilities for sure.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Samantha, I too am struggling with this factor. I have literally had to call these students (mostly elderly) to walk them through how to power on the computer and get to their courseroom. With recent time constraints, I've had to direct them to their advisors as I could not provide the type of attention they needed. My question is: Why would the Admissions department put that type of student into the program? And then I answered my own question: they have to meet their numbers. It's so sad. It's a disservice to many if they can't overcome it; but a true triumph to others if they can.

Stacie,
Yes, these are difficult challenges and typical of transitions. I was around when we had DOS operating systems :) I think for those who do learn and develop new skills, you have opened up a new world to them. Unfortunately not all learn...but that is the same with any group of students learning anything. I have been so frustrated over the years watching students not reach their full potential for whatever reason. We keep teaching, however, for those who do learn. Stay encouraged!

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Nice post.
I, too, I agree that students need to have a certain baseline of tech skills to be successful in an online class. Usually introductory or “survival” courses help to address this issue so that a student is not entering their classes at ground zero.
However, sometimes you have a student that needs a little extra nudge or push. Sometimes that extra encouragement coming from the instructor helps a lot. Simply telling them that this is going to be difficult *but* that they can certainly do it—and that hundreds of students have done this before—can certainly do a lot in terms of instilling a certain amount of confidence.
Also, I try to couch this challenge in terms of the student getting a “two-fer,” that is, as they are learning the content of the class, they are also learning a lot of tech tips and tricks along the way as well.
Best,
Mica

mica,
I agree and I think those "additional" skills should be valued in the grading scores. There can be a huge learning curve for students who are using the technology for the first time or are not very technologically savvy, therefore, their efforts should be valued.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

This challenge is one that I have come across as well, especially since most online students are adult learners.

To that end, at the start of each course, I review the learning management system, I provide them with tech support information, and ask them to be proactive and communicative about there challenges and questions.

This has worked very well for me.

Fiorella,
Yes, it is amazing how many students still do not have access to new technology on a regular basis so feel marginalized quickly when using it. I do think, though, that younger students know more about social media and real time connections than asynchronous, so we will likely have to rethink online instructional design moving forward.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I find that it is helpful to introduce the students to the various technology resources they will be using in the beginning of the course- so they are able to get a jumpstart on downloading and getting them installed. Then, I revisit the tools in more of an in-depth, tutorial based lecture as the corresponding assignments are posed to the class.

Joseph,
Yes, a general orientation of technology and other expectations will always provide a better start for students.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Hi Samantha,
Many schools now offer an orientation that reviews or teaches basic computer skills required to complete course work. I am always amazed by the number of students who enroll in online courses, but do not own a computer or do not have access to the internet at home. Have you encountered this?
Suzanne

Sign In to comment