Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think that this would help. When taking an online class, some students feel more comfortable from the start knowing that a real-live person is behind the computer. Also, they may be hesitant to participate initially or may be reluctant to admit that they need help with something until asked or encouraged by their instructor.

It might help to add your picture, as the instructor, to the home page, to help everyone feel they know you.

It does make you seem more human!

I think that would possibly help. I am currently taking online classes and I have one instructor who does not communicate enough with the class. Effective communication is a key to success in the classroom.

Deborah,
How can we expect our students to communicate if we do not communicate with them?

Shelly Crider

I communicate with my students on a regular basis. I instruct ground classes and the line of communication is always open. Students even have access to my cell.

I was an online student and I am currently facilitating online courses. Hence, I see things from the students' perspective. I think a welcome announcement/email should suffice. Many online students are self-directed and may not need to be called to come to class. Nevertheless, online instructors should be responsive to students' communications so students can still "feel" their instructors' presence and not all alone. I reach out to my learners though if I see that they stop participating or reduce their participations just to ensure all is well and to encourage them to continue!

Yes, pictures are great ideas! I include my pictures in the faculty information page and email. I encourage students to share pictures as well during introduction (only if they want to). They can share their pictures, or hobbies, or what they like etc. Seeing what we look like or have in common can build rapport among the learners and the instructor.

Dr. Felicia,
Encouragement comes in differnt forms for different students. Some students need a little extra communication. Good job.

Shelly Crider

I do not believe that calling students in the first week would retain them however I do believe that contacting them if we see they are struggling or falling behind would.

JoAnn,
Overall, I don't think that it really increases the retention rate but it does enrich the learning experience for the students that really want to apply themselves in the course.

Deborah Balentine

That's an interesting question. If the goal here is retention, there are many approaches that any instructor could try.

I think it's very important for the online instructor to reach out to all the students in the first few days or first week of the course. Especially to make sure that they have found their way around the course, and if they had any questions.

I have seen some students not being able to access their assignments or even course, and yet they did not mention until the first week was almost over.

In the first few days of the course, I always encourage the students to post a small introduction about themselves (as much as they are comfortable with), and that usually helps them feel at ease about asking me questions, and asking each other questions as well. Some students find that they are in the same line of work or same city and that usually helps making them feel at ease.

Also, throughout the course, it is very important to reach out to students who start slipping away or start to participate less and less from unit to the other. It helps and provide encouragement to move forward.

Ola,
I agree with posting something about themselves...it does give teh students a feeling of ownership in the class.

Shelly Crider

I teach at a school where calling students is also required. I love the approach, although if I had 35 students it might be more difficult to manage. I teach accounting online and I have found that after the initial phone call, students feel I am a real person (which of course I am :)). They are also more willing to call me when they are struggling. I always give out my phone number, and have never had a problem with doing so.

Research demonstrates that connection aids in retention - both connection between students and with the instructor. From both the increased academic success and the connection level, I believe that calling students does increase the retention rate.

Catherine,
There are programs out there that let you use a bogus phone number so that students tdo not actually have your own phone number.

Shelly Crider

I agree with you that calling students would help with retention. Our DL staff monitors each student(s) progress weekly and if they are getting behind and have not communicated a reason, we contact them via email or a phone call.

Tipton,
Sometimes students just need to know there is a real human on the other end of their computer!

Shelly Crider

I'm relatively new to online instruction (only about a year into it) and I have already found communication and quick responses with students are key. I work at home online for both my jobs, so I monitor Blackboard all day and address student questions/problems as they arise. I have found students really appreciate the prompt communication and have said other instructors aren't so responsive. They even go as far as posting how they appreciate the quick responses in discussion boards, which is nice to see. I know I don't have to monitor the email like this and I technically have 24 hours to respond, but I like to do it as it's all about communication with online courses and makes the students feel like someone is out there to help them!

Angela,
Students do like to feel that you are there 24/7, even though we monitor frequently. In the face to face classroom, you usually get the instructor once or twice a week.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment