Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online vs Traditional Education

In today's marketplace, more and more schools are offering online coursework. The standards that were set in an in-class setting are being met and even exceeded using online formats. Hiring of most employees is done by meeting a specific qualification and then interviewing qualified candidates to see if they:

1. Possess the knowledge they claim;
2. Fit the personality of the office;
3. Bring a positive attitude.
4. etc.

Therefore, having the degree is more important than where it was obtained. Therefore, I would hire the candidate that best fits with my current employees and the needs of the position.

James,

Your post is proof that the perception of online education is evolving. It hasn't been that many years ago that online learning was thought of as substandard; somewhat like correspondence courses.

Do you think that online learners have certain qualities or traits that are important to employers? If so, explain. :)

Thanks,
Jane

I think it has more to do with today's market. Most people are working while trying to further their education. The amount of education required to keep a job or obtain a job in today's market has increased greatly. Most jobs require some sort of continuing education, and the best way to get that is online. This has translated to online education, which has evolved even more. The employer sees someone who not only works full-time, but also completes more education. This accomplishment can only be viewed as a positive to employers.

I agree- times have changed and online courses vs in house courses are no longer an issue. I would also hire the candidate that best suits my companies needs. Actually, I feel that the person who dedicates themselves to online courses and does well shows more self reliance and has already demonstrated the ability to work well independently.

Debi,

You bring up a good point about online students being more self-reliant. I hadn't given this trait much thought until now.

You also mentioned that online students have demonstrated the ability to work well independently. Although they must be self-motivated, online students most often engage in group activitiesand collaborative learning, which is accomplished through discussion forums and asynchronous chat sessions. A well-developed online course will make sure that students don't feel that they are "teaching themselves."

Do you agree?

:)
Jane

Jane,

I think that creating students that are more self-reliant is certainly a part of online courses. However, I think that ensuring they do not feel as if they are "teaching themselves" is critical to a course's success. Increasingly, students who are classified as "at-risk" are being drawn toward online education becuase its flexible schedule allows them to work multiple jobs and raise a family while still imporving their education. I would think that if these students felt as if they were "teaching themselves" they would be much less engaged, not retain the information beyond its need for the coursework, and be more likely to drop-out, and potentially not return to any institution. Which is of course the polar opposite of why we are all doing this!

What online methodologies have you found the most successfull for keeping students engaged and feeling as if they are not "teaching themselves" and are truly a part of a learning community/classroom?

Brad,

You bring up an interesting point regarding the thin line between making students self-reliant and having them feel that they are teaching themselves. I find this in the traditional classroom as well as the online classroom.

I believe that the key is preparation. Here are some things I do:

- Rather than simply have students read the textbook, I provide them with a PowerPoint presention, including audio, which outlines the major points that I would include in a lecture on the material.

- I am in my online classrooms every day and I respond to every post. This is a little time-consuming but I believe that the time is well spent.

- Feedback is given to all quiz and exam questions. Students know the correct answers and are given the textbook references for every question they miss.

- I respond to emails within a few hours.

- My students have my cell phone number and are encouraged to call me.

- I return their phone calls

- I post announcements several time throughout the week to guide students in the right direction on projects and assignments.

If I put my mind to it, I could probably come up with some more suggestions. Since this course is more about course design than implementation, I think that the important thing is to make tools available to online instructors that will allow them to teach.

:)
Thanks for asking... Jane

James, I agree with the positive view of the employer toward applicants that are working full time and taking continued education at the same time. This also applies to students taking on- site classes and are interested in furthering their education in a shorter time frame. I, myself, am taking an online course while working full time and taking continuing education classes of similar content at the location where I instruct classes. What are your views on this?

I still think that the name of the school a student takes on-line courses from is important. So while some say it's the degree that counts - not where it came from, I have to disagree. It is just as important. Many schools offer on-line course but it seems only a handful are doing it really well.

Steve,

You bring up a good point about checking out the caliber of the school. What criteria would you use to determine if a school is offering a good online education?

Thanks for your input :)
Jane

I'm not quite sure what criteria I would check to see if a school is doing a good job with on-line training. I guess I need to determine what criteria makes a school good at in-class training? I think the first place students look is at the staff. That may be the best place to start when investigating an on-line curriculum.

Great Post!!
There are advantages and disadvantages of Online vs Traditional:
Online you can go at your pace but dead line must be met.Online no face to face instructor, but through email and telephone conversation, but at times there is a broken link between the message and interpretation. On the other hand, Traditional classroom students are much more communicative with their instructors, better clarification on subject matter, etc. Classroom setting I think you are more open for class discussion versus online because if you have to reply on one or two post, that's it., but in classroom, students are constantly engaging espaecially if there are a number of points are allocated for Class Participation.

For online degrees, as a CEO I think I will hire the applicant who is more qualified, experience, and have a high degree of ethical and moral values/standards no matter if the applicant degree is through Online or from Traditional Classroom.

Who do you think is more ethical, Taditional Classroom Students or Online Students?

Jai

Jai,in regards to ethics and moral values, that is going to be within an individual character makeup.
l do agree that on-line students do have the extra ability to be more discipline and self motivated and that is what it takes. In traditional education students are at a more relaxed pace an can interact with their peers and the instructors for instant intellectual response about the subject. Both environments can be a rewarding educational experience.

Hi Jai,

Boy, I don't know how to answer your question about which types of students are more ethical. I haven't done any research in this area. I have taught extensively online and in the traditional classroom and still don't have an answer for you.

You bring up several good points in your post. You said that traditional classroom students are more "communicative with their instructors". I have not always found this to be the case. For example, students who question a grade they received on an assignment often feel more comfortable emailing and instructor rather than facing the instructor.

Thanks for your input :)
Jane

The answer to this question is all of the above. In many fields it is common to test future employees on their knowledge. However, the interview itself is to test personality and compatibility. Those in charge of hiring should be aware of and responding to all of these traits.

It is important to know what criteria an employer is looking for. It is important as an employer to know who fits that specific criteria as well.

You might also want to check the schools accreditations.

It not only has to do with one's education but it also has to do with one's personality. I currently have a friend in medical school and the first lecture that she attended stated that B students make the best doctors. A students spend too much time studying. B students are more social and this is a people oriented profession. This is the same with any workplace. Education can only get you so far if you don't have the personality to back it up. Yeah social skills.

That's a good point. Often times those who are taking online course are showing more iniciative.

Teya,

Perhaps you answered this question in one of your other responses to this question but I will post it here anyway...

Do you think there are any traits that an employee trained online would have that an employee trained in a traditional classroom would not?

Jane

Sign In to comment