Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Debra:
Your statements about easy retrieval of information, and repeated access to information are well taken. Students who are dedicated to their work have the opportunity to delve farther into the content and assimilate the information in an online setting.

In regards to choosing a candidate who received his or her education online Vs one who received his or her education in a traditional classroom setting, I believe several selection criteria will be applied. The bottom line is the candidate's ability to perform the duties associated with the job; so in my opinion, a job-perfromance based test prior to hiring should be one of those criteria.
Satrohan

This is pretty obvious but can't really be stated enough. What I like best about online schooling is that a student is not confined to the courses offered in her or his geographical area. You can live in the middle of the woods in a tent... as long as you're online, you can learn.

Corinne:
Agreed. Students have more choices of online programs offered by different institutions outside or their locale.
Satrohan

What about ESL Learners taking online vs. traditional courses? Any comments?

Carmen:
Please be more specific in this request so that I can respond. I suspect that this is a very valid question as it relates to language instruction; however, I require more details befoe I can respond. Elaborate on "What about". Thanks, Carmen.
Satrohan

Doesn't everyone want to be on the "band wagon" which is why online coursework is so popular? What will be the next type of learning environment which offers a degree, convenience, and flexibily which we all want?

I think the standards of an online course are more difficult as an onmground course. The characteristics of indiviudals taking online courses is also quite different from those in on ground course.

Would I simply hire a person who met the qualifications and had a degree? My answer is no. I would want to check to see if the degree and institution are accredited, and what are the accrediation requirements. I would also want to know what courses were taken, grades achieved, and their attendance at school. Interview questions can then be developed to gain an understanding of knowledge obtained, person/job fit, person/ organizational fit, etc. Therefore, I would do some research prior to hiring someone because they had a degree.

Again, Charlotte, you have provided a very elaborate response to this topic. You have made some striking recommendations on a course of action to take when hiring someone who graduated from an online program.

In aanswer to your question in the opening statement, I cannot think of a mode of delivery that will offer these kinds of opportunities.
Satrohan

I think institutions need to offer both methodologies based on the customer's interest and need. Based on your response to Debra Smith, whether it be an degree from online or a traditional classroom, the selection criteria would determine if the degree program fits the job and organiational requirements.

Charlotte:
We use the tests not only to determine the best fit; but also to estimate the degree of training we would have to provide of we were to select the candidate.
Satrohan

Satrohan,
What kind of tests - logic, personality? Just curious....

Charlotte:
We do not use prsonality tests. Our tests are performance based. The tests are anchored on the duties associated with the job to the task level.
Satrohan

I have to agree that the name of the school where the online degree was obtained would make a difference to me. With so much misinformation on the Internet and with so many new companies popping up, I would be cautious of where I received my online education.
Carol Silvis

I am glad you addressed the concerns of watered down classes, students taking the online class for someone else, and gaining the appropriate skills. These are things that have also concerned me about online education. Of course, the same concerns can be addressed in traditional settings, but not to as great an extent as with online programs. In the end, I believe, having mastery of the subject matter and having gained the appropriate skills are the desired results. So how can we be sure the individual taking the online classes has achieved them if another person takes the course for him/her?
Carol Silvis

Carol:
Quite true; the name of the institution does add to the positive outlook of a resume. Is the name of the institution enough for one to decide whether to pursue an online program at that institution?
Satrohan

Carol:
Straightforward answer to your question---if someone enrolls for the course and another person completes the course work, the person who enrolled has not acquired the knowledge and skills.
Satrohan

Jane,

I couldn't agree more. The online diploma mill is a booming industry. It flourishes because there is a market for it, and no one has been able to shut them down. Having a certificate all the way to a PhD from an organization like a diploma mill can cost you time, embarrassment, and in severe cases prosecution if you tried to pass off a phony degree.

I haven't heard about too many students recently who are even asked if their degree was earned ground or online!

Well that provides a really good point. Students who research and base their choices on the school and not the degree are already showing a different degree of online knowledge and doing the prep work required - just like an actual university, you need to visit a few and see what they can give you before you settle on one.

James,

True if the online course is the same length as an onground course. This is true with the traditional colleges and universities. However, with the plethora of non-traditional schools that offer five week courses it is different. How can you learn in five weeks what a traditional course typically takes 12 weeks? This is where employers balk at the validity of the degree.

Some of the non-traditional schools have no testing whatsoever. No weekly tests or final exams.

Steve,

This is true. The name of the school counts as employers can check the course content offered by these schools. Generally the traditional scools that have online course with the same length and rigor as the on-campus schools, there is no difference in the educational value received. However, the five week online course schools that graduate students, do not fare as well in the marketplace for students seeking work.

Sign In to comment