Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gardner,

I think it is possible to compress timeframes - but you are right - it needs to be a shorter time, but with the same learning expectations.

Jon

Mr. Phillips,

I've taught both online an traditional courses. I do agree knowledge is more important than where it was obtained but accreditian ranks among the top reasons as well. Thus being, most unaccredited instiutiions do not provide the same quality of education needed to succeed.
Like you, I do look for the "best fit" candidate not just for my employees but as for the company as well. If I am undecided I do go by the institution the person has attended and/or experience s/he may have.

As for determining if s/he posses the knowledge they claim, you can always test them - though some people are not good test takers. You really do not know at this point since you have to use your "gut" and the experience you've gained over the years to locate that "perfect person".

Is there really a difference as to where the degree obtained - yet alone accreditation? My answer is no. Due to the fact that I have met several people throught my years of working that do not even posses a higher education degree but their knowledge of the subject matter far exceeds those that do.

The name of the institution of higher learning has always been important. Just look at Hollywood, for example. Every lawyer in every movie goes to Harvard Law School. It's a quick and easy way of conveying that the character is smart and has had his or her "ticket punched." Employers at certain levels do look at the name of the university. The good news for most of us is that most employers respect a degree from any reputable institution. Students need to be sure that their online university is accredited and that it offers the courses they need for the career they wish to pursue.

Online colleges and universities need to prove themselves just like any other institutions. Our graduates will help make or break our reputations. So we need to be sure that we grant degrees only to those who have earned them.

Teya,

Having students in an online program contact a professional in their field is an excellent idea. What better way to learn than by speaking with someone already working in the profession?

Teya,

Great points - thanks for sharing!

Jon

I think online e-learing is excellent and applicable to certain professions/diciplines. Students with time management problems may find it convienient to combine both traditional with online courses to further their studies.

On the hand, some students may gain more from on-site training.

Some students tend to grasp more through actual experience.

For example, a surgical technician would gain more experience from a real clinical case in understanding "the operation room environment".

Maureen,
So true. There are some students a class is better just because it forces them to focus a little more.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment