Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hands On Tech

Students learning in an online setting are exposed regularly to the newest and most interactive technologies.

I like the idea of using the latest technologies but are all on line learners computer savy and do they all have the capability of using the latest technology?

Claudia,
Good question!! We all want the latest and greatest, but simply do not have! We cannot expect our students to have everything as well. We can still research the new technology!

Shelly Crider

Students learn the lecture of the course, but hands on is more interesting, and the student get more excited when learning how hands on are presented.

Loretta,
Most students have grown up with hands on games of some sort!

Shelly Crider

Lowest common denominator (risk avoidance) or get out there and try it (risk acceptance).

The limitations are: accessibility; ease of use/navigation; and utility (show:substance). I don't worry too much about what if everyone doesn't have everything. There is a price of admission to do things on-line: be able to interact in the course through whatever means is established as the standard for the course.

I think the greater challenge is keeping up with the variety of tools. My kids Skype, on-line game, text, ... routinely. To them, Email is just oine step above a clay tablet. So the challenge to on-ine design is to work in the medium to which the auduience is most accustomed.

You are so right about the technology. Many people, young ones especially, are using their smart phones for everything.We need to keep up as instructors or get left in the dust of fast moving technology changes. thanks you for bringing this up in the forum.

Francis,
Oh so true! Work the medium that is working!

Shelly Crider

This is true. Skype is being used in a few larger universities as teaching tools .

Hello June,
The student is expose to the newest technology which could be a challenge at times.

Hands on it very important in the learning process.Students will retain more on hands on activities then just lecture

Maryann,
I so agree!! Hands on experience can be a world of learning all in itself!

Shelly Crider

We do have a minimum requirement of what is a needed in the design environment, and we continually updated it as the industry updates the Design software. Note, however, that in the academic, we have to focus upon the learning, application and experimenting on new knowledge, techniques and materials on pushing the design, and we have to keep in mind that technology is only a portion of that.

Racquel ,
I love the fact that you stated "continually updated". That is so needed!

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment