Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Exactly!

I definitely think an online class is more challenging for a student who may tend to become distracted by choosing to multi-task while online class is going on. I am continually challenged by the multi-tasking student. I choose to engage the student who I think is not paying particular attention and ask him or her questions frequently. If I get no response for a period of time, the student is then kicked off-line.

Kathy,
Sometimes it is distracting for the instructor as well!

Shelly Crider

Michael, FYI...neuroscience has proven the human brain is incapable of multi-tasking. Although one may think they can perform multi tasks at the same time, the brain is really alternating between the tasks that results in a degradation of both tasks being performed.

The National Safety Council has created a White Paper entitled Understanding the distracted brain (http://www.fnal.gov/pub/traffic_safety/files/NSC%20White%20Paper%20-%20Distracted%20Driving%203-10.pdf) where they state:

"Multitasking is a myth. Human brains do not
perform two tasks at the same time. Instead, the
brain handles tasks sequentially, switching between one task and another. Brains can juggle tasks very rapidly, which leads us to erroneously
believe we are doing two tasks at the same time.
In reality, the brain is switching attention between tasks – performing only one task at a time".

Sign In to comment