Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

My rule of thumb is that if it does not enhance your presentation or point out pertinent information, then you should not include it.

Basic color and design with pertinent graphics to highlight information tends to work best.

Often presenters will add cartoons or funny graphics to their presentations, I would only suggest this if it gets your point across or fits into your discussion. Most of the time this is not relevant as we are looking to teach our students not make them laugh.

Agreed. Some of the Powerpoint files I have had to download from publisher's websites are enormous and it has taken me nearly 30 minutes on a high speed Internet connection to upload 20 files. We have to realize that our students sometimes still have dial-up Internet connections and what even is a few seconds for us will be a few minutes for them. Most will not wait to download them and give up after about 20 seconds.

I agree. I would guess that most attempts to be clever or funny have a better chance of showing they are neither. At least in the eyes of the student.

Hi Lorie,

I agree to not include 'graphics' unless it does add or contribute to the content of the course. I do include to enhance or to make sure my point/comment is understood.

I believe we need to abide by the KISS principle.. keep it simple, silly.

The key is that any graphics used are to supplement the learning process not to over take. The goal of graphics should be like the music as a background in a movie. The best soundtracks are the ones unnoticed but just complement the film.

Merle,
I love this analogy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is right on target too!!!

Shelly Crider

I think the best way NOT to get carried away with media is not to decide to use a media THEN how to make it work for your information, but to decide what information you want to distribute THEN select a media that will work best for the situation. I think what happens is that people get caught up in the "new media" they are presented with and try to use it for everything and it just may not be the best solution. Make sure any graphics or other media actually enhances the information you are presenting.

Beverly,
Excellent point. Let's get organized and see exactly what content you as an instructor what the students to learn.

Shelly Crider

This is very true Beverly, simplicity is always key with graphics. You dont want to include too many and complicate the lesson for the student but it is necessary to include graphics to illustrate the point

jeanita,
When in doubt, leave it out! Not everyone understands graphics.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment