Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online instruction is new to me I have only taught live. When teaching I have always used simple media. I don't get carried away with graphics or sound on my presentations. Typically I try to place my graphics and other media in stratigic areas of my lecture. Like in the middle of it or a point that I think that students will get a better visual.

Melissa:
I suggest you continue to adopt the principle by which the visuals will enhance students' comprehension of the text-based content. The location within the lecture, is not, in my opinion, an accurate principle to follow.
Satrohan

I'd have to agree with this statement 100% remember you have to take in to account that not all students have the same connection speeds as you or I. Having a flash animation with a load screen that loads quickly for me may cause problems for a few students.. thus making their online learning environment a problem.

But if a longer animation/ larger size is needed I'd recommend creating two.. both cover the same topics one is just simplified or lower quality to allow ease of download for those who need that.

I think there has to be a balance and sometimes too much graphics is not good either, but it is proven that people learn better by visualizing

Andrew:
The suggestion you have made in your last statement is quite interesting. Flash animation sequences should have only those features and functionalities that support the topic to which they are referenced. Abiding with this principle of media selection, I cannot conceive of how a "watered-down" version fo the Flash piece will achieve the same purpose. Perhaps you can share some examples of how this can be done with us.
Satrohan

Miguel:
Let's make the following assumptions.

1. There are no budgetary restrictions for media development.

2. There are no time constraints on media development.

Question
Given the abovementioned assumptions, what principles will you follow to select media in such a manner that it is "balanced"?
Satrohan

The amount of graphics and information has to be just right, not to over exceed and also not to be short, it should be easy to navigate since people have different levels of internet knowledge, of course with graphics it is proven that students learn better but also it is not good to over do it

Rebecca:
What principles would you adopt to ensure that the graphic components you include do not "over exceed and also not to be short"?
Satrohan

Until techology advancement makes downloading of files ultra speed for all users, garphics should be created that will download quick for all. One should check with their IT departments to see what they recommend for file sizes, etc. In addition, until technology allows for enhanced graphic downloads at warp speeds, a computer disk could be created for the course that could be bundled with the text book so students can view more detailed graphics off-line.

Great suggestions, Kathleen.
Satrohan

There are rules on design. PowerPoint has guide lines you can follow as far a how many graphic, type of fonts and how many of each should be used in a presentation.

Jo:
The guidelines to which you refer may be applicable for PowerPoint presentations. In my opinion, a PowerPoint prsentation may lack the requisites of a Quality online course. A powerPoint is viewed for what it is-----a presentation tool; not an online lecture. A PowerPoint can certainly be a component of the course. This leave us with the remainder of the course components for which we have to select media.
Satrohan

I can see this happening - it's like when you a see a movie that was just a bit to long and you thought to yourself "self they could have skipped over 20 minutes of that" and it ruins the movie. Perhaps showing your presentation to someone outside the class, kinda like having your paper proof read by someone else before doing the final draft, can give you a hint if you feel you've overloaded the visual and audio content

Debra,

By using the KISS principle, Keep it Simple Stupid! Another way is to use humor in any graphic. Humor in an ad for instance, furthers recall. A humorous graphic in a class can accomplish the same thing.

Great idea! - JO

I have also been giving lectures with the "aid" of my PowerPoint presentations. This enables me to use more visuals. Some students are more "visual learners," while some prefer to listen to the audio. This blends the best of "both worlds!"

Tanya,

That's great - especially if you can get some audio in as well.

Jon

Debra:

I agree that it can easily get carried too far in regards to graphics.

I think the less "clicks" the better, especially for those learners who may be taking an online class for the first time.

I also think consistency in regards to course design within courses offered by an Institution is vital for student success.

Kim

Kim,

Good point - you really do need to find a balance.

Jon

That is true. I have been in some courses where flash was the name of the game, but the content did not seem to be there.

Sign In to comment