Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What works best for me is that the lectures are given to the students along with PowerPoint slide presentations, which gives more detailed visual graphics. This has been very successful with my Math courses. By giving the student's more visual aids, I think this helps them with solving the math problems better.

Kevin:
Without seeing the PowerPoint presentations and the lectures, it is difficult for me to reasonably conclude whether including the visual graphics in the lectures would be better, at least to maintain continuity. It will then run as the content in a textbook. What do you think?
Satrohan

I think that is fine, but I do think that visual graphics help tremendously for students taking Math courses online. My institution uses PowerPoint which provides a form of visual graphics; which is ideal because the student will be able to see the graphics and it does follow the content in the textbook.

Kevin:
I do not see any problem with this approach once there is continuity in the PowerPoint and adequate information for students to establish the relationship between the graphics and their intended purpose.
Satrohan

We have to take into consideration that some of the student may not be as technologically savy. The program should be as easy to navigate through as possible.

LaTisha:
Administering an entry-level survey to determine the level of "technology savy" can be one way of providing remedial materials as well as Quick Reference materials to help them along.
Satrohan

Great ideas. I would suggest having less, rather than more, graphics. While students are becoming very visually oriented, I can see how images can overwhelm and oversimplify text.

For what it's worth, try this: When you put together a new class, run the graphics through for youself without any text or sound. Is this sufficient? Does it flow well? Is there too much information thrown at people?

Then add, expand verbal discussions to deepend and make sense of what is shown. There are too many soundbites on TV; we don't need seebites too.

Richard:
From your response, I surmise that you rcommend judicious use of media---only that which is necessary to support the theme under consideration; no more, no less. Two Questions:

Question 1
Have interpreted your answer correctly?

Question 2
Do you think that as Instructors with indepth knowledge of the content we want our students to assimilate are representative of our learning audience to the point that we are the best judges of the kind and level of media support hey would require?
Satrohan

To answer your first question, yes you are correct in your assessment, Satrohan.

Regarding the second, I suppose it depends on both the students and instructors. I am concerned that onlline training may by itself not be enough for some technical fields--hands on material may well be needed, as well as clos personal contact with teachers.

Regarding using media support--if the instructor is current on what is available, and is trained to use it effectively, it may work. But, again, I would not overuse this or the "medium" could get in the way of the "message." It's not a toy, it's a tool, and one should not lose sight of the goal, which is to educate people, not just entertain them.

Graphics should not detract from or be a disctaction the object of the course.

Richard:
We are on the same page when it comes to the kinds of competencies that can be taught in an online environment. Moreover, your statements about being a tool and not a toy are well taken.

Richard, all of the instructors with whom I have worked create online graduate courses. I have not noticed any of them or even the Instructional Designers who work with them ever venture into the "entertain" domain.
Satrohan

Robert:
Please advise on what precautions you will take to ensure that graphics you include in your course do not detract from the objectives of the course.
Satrohan

A graphic should be a "release" for the reader, not a distraction. I receintly watched a very humorous ad for a product. I certainly enjoyed the "laugh" effect; however, I did not remember the product. A graphic intense production could be effective if they serve as a learning tool. Graphics, for graphics sake, should be avioded.

In your request for additional information, you address it to Richard - did you mean Robert? I had a very difficult time with your screens. Some of my information did not reach the indented source. If you need additional data, please let me know.

Robert

Your psoition on this subject is well taken Robert. You have maintained this position in all of your responses.
Satrohan

Robert:
My mistake. I could have mentioned the wrong name. I do not understand why youhad difficulty with my message; however, I did receive the additional information I requested.
Satrohan

Simplicity is important in an online environment. Graphics and audio can enhance and/ or distract from the intent of the presentation. The graphics used should help illustrate a discussion point or concept, rather than just inserting something because it is fun. The size and download time also effects the professional nature of the information presented.

An example is when students put the timing mechanism into a powerpoint presentation, and they are either too fast or too slow based on the timing of the slides. I've only seen it done well once over the several years I have been teaching. I typically tell the group to shut off the timing mechanism and start over. It eliminates the anxiety which was already building.

Charlotte:
When we create instructional pieces such as PowerPoints, we must take into consideration "Usability Factors". In this case,the person who created the PowerPoint should have considered that reading speed vary among individuals.

Satrohan,
I've not heard of that term - usability factors. I'll have to remember that when creating PowerPoint for online courses as reading speed and comprehension do vary among individuals.

Charlotte:
Some companies specialize in usability. It is a terms used mostly in designing software applications as well as courses as well as systems and equipment. While I would not consider it equivalen to "user friendly", the latter is definitely part of the first.
Satrohan

Sign In to comment