Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Office hours are more important online than traditional

Students have to be able to contact the instructor especially during online courses. While students in traditional course can see and feel the instructors reactions, online you don't have that interaction. So being available is critical for questions and clarifications.

I have found that some students who cannot reach a teacher within a certain amount of time tend to judge the entire online course poorly. So communication is critical!

I agree, it is very important for students to be able to reach their instructor. To that end, I provide my phone number, my cell number, and accept text messages. Additionally, I encourage my students to leave messages for I may not be avaialble when they call. Of course, I also accept and respond to emails.

Communication is Key!!

Guy,
I 100% agree!! Post your online office hours and let students know that you are available every Monday 7-9pm (or your particular day/night). Then have your computer on to see if any student takes advantage of this.

Shelly Crider

Guy,
I agree. As an instructor, check email for questions morning and evening. Let the students know when you are online as well.

Shelly Crider

Terry,
I, too, will accept text as long as the student identifies him/her self. This helps teach communication as well!

Shelly Crider

Yes indeed online office hours are most important for the online student (s). They would achieve a better understanding of the course by knowing the instructor/professor is ready & available to assist them when needed/questions arise. It is therefore critical to their learning goals & achieving success.

Gertrude,
Students do need to know when their instructor is around to help and answer questions.

Shelly Crider

I also agree that office hours should be included in every online course. As an adjunct instructor in an on-ground class, I feel most of this type of student-teacher interaction naturally occurred just before class start or at the end of class. I think this is easier for students as it is more like "hey, while you are there."

This is not the same in an online course but much like other practices, it is just done differently. Office hours helps create that dedicated time where students know that their instructor is available for them.

With that being said, I seldom get students reaching out to me during my office hours. They tend to reach out to me at any time. While I cannot always answer the email or call instantly, I believe this is still more efficient as I will most likely get back to them before the next scheduled office hours.

Setting aside time for the students to receive feedback whether via office hours or a live chat is essential for those students that require additional clarification of the material when reading the material is not providing that for them. It also helps them feel a connection with the instructor and that they are not on their own to figure it all out.

Dawn Huber

Juan,
My students tend to reach out to me at all times as well!! Office hours are something we need to train our students in.

Shelly Crider

Dawn ,
This is true. There are times when you may want to do a WebEx if there are technical questions.

Shelly Crider

I am 100 % agree to that. I noticed the same comment from different students. Somehow, I feel the same way too.

John,
Students do want a human around!

Shelly Crider

Clear office hours / feedback interaction time seems to be a necessity for online. This is a great way to teach time management online as well.
This is a particular topic in our on ground classes. Great module.

Brad,
Thank you for bringing time management up. I think students lack this in the online area.

Shelly Crider

hours are important but so is their understanding that we are NOT available 24/7
HOffice hours must be set and respected

Laura ,
Good point. Make sure that you post when you are online and when you will return mail.

Shelly Crider

Guy, I also agree with you that being available is critical. I posted my office hours on the syllabus and at end of each weekly chat I reminded the students of the times that I was available if they needed to reach me. I only had one student to contact me via telephone, the others would email me.

Thanks,
Wanda

Sign In to comment