Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Syllabus guides

This is a great tool. It keeps instructors and students on the same page. Also, I use it as a guide. I change it up to follow the book and quizzes...

I agree, this also let's the students know in advace what will be happening each week of the course.

Loretta,
The more information we can give to students, the more they are prepared.

Shelly Crider

Not only are they helpful as a guide for the students, as well as, the instructors but it is a handy tool for a substitute to pick up where the instructor left off if a situation should arise where someone else had to complete a course.

I've seen some very thorough syllabi, and try to pattern my own after some of those. Most instructors' are fairly bland with their syllabus construction, but it's worthwhile to be a bit more thorough and inspirational with it.

Dan,
It is nice to know, as a student, details on assignments!

Shelly Crider

A syllabus resembles a contract between an academic institution and its students. It outlines a course of study for a particular class and it should explain expectations, requirements, major assignments and consequences of both performance and lack of performance to include late work.

A syllabus should be detailed and it also creates a framework which helps to guide both a course instructor and its students.

It is important to proofread a syllabus to be sure there are no conflicting policies or assignments in it. Finally, a syllabus should address academic integrity and plagiarism.

Thomas,
Interesting thought...a syllabus is a contract! Maybe this should be a discussion question in an introductory class!

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment