Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Most students developed a disappointment toughs when they find out how much money they will be making post graduation. this sometimes create a negative environment in the classroom.

Alexander,

I understand that this can be a factor, however it is one that is true in many professions and the impetus for striving to advance.

Jae Gruber

By outlining my career path as well as the career paths of fellow instructors I have found that this provides the student with a tangable realistic view of direct mentors' career journeys.

By relating my career path and the paths of my fellow instructors I have found that this provides a tangeable and realistic view of a direct mentor's career journey.

I also work full time in the industry I teach. Each morning I talk about "work last night" the good stuff and the challenging. I feel it helps the teaching seem very real to them. Some times I even ask for "help" such as "what would you have done? I resently had an issue with an employee not showing up on time and I was considering terminating them. It turned out to be a great discussion on how much is too much? The class was actually tougher than I was. I then asked them if I should apply those same rules to the class when they show up late? It was not a popular question......but it did create a lot of thinking.

Ron,

Posing the question "what would you have done" really gets the students to dig deep and contemplate how they would react in certain situations, as well as prompts some excellent discussions. Thank you for sharing your best practice!

Jae Gruber

Approximately 80% of all new start students see themselves owning their own business. Most of them want either a restaurant/bakery or a catering business. Having worked in both of these avenues and eight different paths in my career, I speak to them with real world knowledge. I always encourage my students to seek chefs that have worked in the avenue they want to pursue. This is realistic information from someone who has been in the trenches of that side of the industry. I feel if you haven't done it, then leave the guidance to those that have. The true value of a chef instructor is his or her industry experience/knowledge.

I love telling my students about the best jobs in the industry (and what made them the best) as well as the worst. I emphasise that sometimes, the best education can be what NOT to do, or how not to treat people.

We have a discussion about other paths (besides just restaurants and bakeries) and what each position entails and would likely pay in our market. It's an eye opener for our students, as most are focused on bakery work/decorating.

I try to stress the importance of work ethic, moral standards and passion for this field. Letting them know from my own experience of what is in front of them and the difficulties from an industry that is fierce and competitive. I let students know of all the different directions you can go in the world of culinary arts such as executive chef, R & D, institutional, catering, private chef, teaching, nutrition, corporate chef and in some cases a professional line cook

by giving them real life information about what this field is about. Being diligent, having an eye for detail, mental and physical stamina, creativity, organizational skills, ect. I give both ends of the sprectrum of how work can be very fulfilling and also the sacrifices that one needs to make in order to become sucessfull. I my self have been down many different paths in this field witch helps to resinate information being convaid

Todd,

Excellent points Chef. The best way for students to really learn about opening their own business is by talking to instructors who have done so and/or by working in a business similar to one that they hope to own. This can guide them into reflecting upon elements of their dream that they had not previously considered.

Jae Gruber

Stacy,

Great point Stacy. I agree. Every experience is a good learning experience. Sometimes what seems like the worst job situation ends up to be the best learning situation in retrospect.

Jae Gruber

Joseph,

Mental and physical stamina, eye for detail, diligence are all important to discuss with students as wll as the other aspects that you mentioned. One can be an excellent cook, but if they do not have the other qualities, it can inhibit future success. Great information Chef!

Jae Gruber

Joseph,

Work ethic is critical in the profession and this is sometimes underestimated by the student. It is great that you are sharing they myriad of paths that can be taken throughout their careers. Often students are surprised at the number of options available in the world of food and hospitality.

Jae Gruber

Honesty in my experiences, is the best policy.

I never ever sugar coat the stories I tell. Some get the message and some don't quite get it right away. As you know in our industry, T.V. plays just as much negative as positive. Sharing a story to a new student that is having issue with standing a few minutes watching a demo and getting tired and then telling them a story of being on your feet for 12 hours straight at a holiday event may just and getting used to it now may be a reality check. Or that taking 60 minutes to make a 1 yolk mayo will probably get you yelled at for taking so long in a kitchen where you are getting paid. This relation allows them to understand what the "real" kitchen life is all about.

The use of positive and supportive dialogue gets students to be receptive. Once their attention is caught it is easier to either make career path recommendations or to make them realize which ones would be their best choices.

Stacy,

It's good to hear that you are discussing career paths beyond those that most frequently come to mind. Students are excited to hear about the numerous options that they had never considered.

Jae Gruber

Pierre,

I agree. When an instructor is a fair and firm, yet supportive and positive influence, students are more open to discussions regarding their class performance, career path, or any obstacles that may prevent them from finishing their education.

Jae Gruber

I share a lot about my experiences of working in the industry. I still own my own wedding cake business and try to share stories from that as well .

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities