Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Each class I share brief bios of famous and not so famous chefs. I give just enough to whet their appetites to learn more about them. I show clips from youtube when I can find them. Letting the students know that it is not always a glamorous climb helps shape their understanding of the culinary field.

When enforcing particular policies in the classroom (attendance, the importance of communication, uniform adherence, meeting time deadlines) I relate them to how it will help them once out of school and in the professional world. If they can embrace these habits now, it will set them apart later and help them to quickly move up in positions.

Peter,

These are great ideas. Many students do not know Chefs beyond what they see on the popular food networks. Information on "not so famous" Chefs who are still very successful cab often give students are more realistic understaning of the world they are entering.

Jae Gruber

Emma,

This is a good approach. Helping students understand why particular policies are to their advantage is preferable rather than just enforcing a rule for the sake of the rule itself.

Jae Gruber

Daniel,

Sharing your past and present industry experiences can really help students related to the informaton being conveyed and why it is important to learn, understand and apply the concepts.

Jae Gruber

Daniel,

Sharing your past and present industry experiences can really help students related to the informaton being conveyed and why it is important to learn, understand and apply the concepts.

Jae Gruber

I have found a great opportunity to begin this discussion with students during the "Touch Point" interaction with our "Career Services Representative", even more so after the presentation. Later students often have questions regarding the various career paths available to them and I find this a perfect opportunity to explore in detail the realities of the requirements of a chef in those roles.
Some of the information I share comes from my own experience as well as from my interaction with colleagues who have been in positions that I have not held such as an assisted living chef. Beyond the realities shared, I feel that is important to tie this discussion to courses the students are currently taking and those yet to come which will help to prepare them for their responsibilities ahead.

I think the best thing is to be honest from day one. Tell them that they will have to work and stand for 12-16 hours a day, work all holidays and weekends, see the kitchen staff more than their own family, but at the same time explain why we as culinary professionals chose our career. Most of the chef instructors would never think of doing anything out of the industry, explain the reward of a happy guest, or pulling off the "impossible". These are the things that drive us, so try to pass the truth on, but be truthful on how fulfilling the job really is dispite the drawbacks.

I believe the key is to honestly answer the student's questions and use your career experiences to support your responses. Remember and reflect upon your own personal aspirations as a culinary student and express to them that you still have the same passion and enthusiasm as you did when you entered culinary school.

cole,

I agree, it is important to convey a realistic picutre. Doing so also helps the student understand why mise en place, urgency, technique and other concepts are so important to the craft.

Jae Gruber

its always good to take a pose and have a reality check by relating any subject through professional and personal experience to reinforce all expectations.

Lawrence,

You make a very good point in mentioning that instructors need to reflect back upon their aspirations when they were in culinary school and see through the eyes of a student once again. Students enjoy hearing stories aobut the culinary world that relate directly to their course material.

Jae Gruber

I am a second-career myself, so I always share my path and decision process with them as well as the challenges I faced and how I dealt with them. On the first day of class I always ask them "Is it enough to be great cook in order to become a Chef?" and through their own answers, we explore the concept. I invite them to give me their aspirations and expectations, which is also a good discussion. But the most important aspect for me is the day-to-day work with them, constantly coaching them on attitude, ethics and professional behavior, and not only cooking techniques.

I am a second-career myself, so I always share my path and decision process with them as well as the challenges I faced and how I dealt with them. On the first day of class I always ask them "Is it enough to be great cook in order to become a Chef?" and through their own answers, we explore the concept. I invite them to give me their aspirations and expectations, which is also a good discussion. But the most important aspect for me is the day-to-day work with them, constantly coaching them on attitude, ethics and professional behavior, and not only cooking techniques.

I encourage my students to follow there dreams but to be realistic. I also instill in them that becomming a chef is hard work and takes years of dedication. Dont expect to be the next Escoffier overnight.

James,

Yes, it can be challenging to get students to understand that the culinary/pastry/hospitality profession is a journey. Often,it is something that is realized after graduation. It is then that these former students fully grasp some of the information their instructors were trying to convey while they were in school.

Jae Gruber

Alexandra,

The question that you pose is a great way to "break the ice" on Day 1 of a class. Success in the workplace will depend upon their soft skills as much as their cooking skills, so it is fantastic that you consistently emphasize this in your courses.

Jae Gruber

aS TO NOT SCARE OR INTIMIDATE THE STUDENTS AS SOME HAVE NEVER PICKED UP A KNIFE LET ALONE COOKED, I USE A BOTTLE FEEDING APROACH A LITTLE AT A TIME BUT CUSHONED WITH MY OWN EXPIERENCE

Alexandra,

That is an excellent question to pose and truly leads to excellent discussion on the importance of "soft skills".

Jae Gruber

I agree. I always feel the need to let the students know what my experiences in culinary school were like in relation to what they are currently experiencing. I find it helps encourage them to know that I started with growing my culinary roots by getting out there in the real world and working in as many environments as possible to gain a well rounded base from which I could eventually continue to challenge myself and take on more and more responsibility and eventually become a chef/owner. I also let them know that the learning process never stops. You strive for success in everything you do no matter what the task, big or small. I feel it is my duty to teach those under me how to aspire to my position by always giving them my knowledge and letting them know that not everything I tried was a total success but that I didn't let my failures discourage me, I used them to make me more successful and proud of doing it better the next time.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities