Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I totally agree with Larry. I always emphasize the importance of having a strong foundation of skills and theory based on techniques. I also have them realize the importance of applying what they have learned either at home or at their jobs, if they are working. Yes, it is the journey that matters. Our profession is built on dedication, hard work, attention to details, and strong fundamentals and techniques. Until they are comfortable with them, and only then, can they really say they are to go for a ready chef's position.

Robert,

I most certainly agree that it is important to keep the stories relevant to what is being taught in the classroom. It seems that many instructors do this and I'm glad they are mentioning it on this forum. Best practices cannot be repeated too often!

Jae Gruber

Anthony,

Well stated! The destination is important, but the journey is just as important.

Jae Gruber

I think that is is sometimes difficult for students to appreciate/understand the challenges of the profession- especially if they have had no prior experience in the industry. I decided to pursue an experiment. Each student in lieu of doing 2 required reports had the option of finding a kitchen to do a 'stage' in and report back to the classroom about the experience--what did they learn? What if anything changed their mind or excited them about the profession? Surprised at the amount of hard work and focus required? Etc. It was a 'mini, mini externship' for a day and more valuable than listening to something that they couldn't 'wrap their heads around.'

Laura,

This a great idea! I'm sure other instructors would be interested in hearing more about the student feedback regarding this experience. If you have a chance, please tell us more!

Jae Gruber

I teach a Foundations class, the first class the students take. This question comes up a lot!!

I make them aware of all the non-traditional routes a food service professional can aspire to for instance:
Teacher, food stylist, food photographer, airline catering, food research and development, health inspector, food trucks...

This opens their minds and they realize that hotels and restaurants are not the only avenues to persue.

Albert,

Absolutely! Other aspects of hospitality may be options for students in the future as well! Their culinary education will always contribute to the foundation of skills for career success.

Jae Gruber

i tell them about my career path and own experience of 40 years in the inductry.

By utilizing past graduates as guest speakers and using field trips to re affirm learned knowledge.
And talk to them, you have knowledsge and time in the industry, share what you know.

I literally diagram on the board the different "avenues" one can take in this business. I discuss and explain my personal work history and experience and tie that into what each of my students are expecting out of the program.

Robert,

Excellent points, Robert. When graduates come back to speak to current students, it has the very positive effect of underscoring and driving home what the Instructor is attempting to convey.

Jae Gruber

Robert,

This is a great method of discussing career paths, as it gives the student a visual to look at while you are discussing the information. Telling your own career path story reminds students that everyone has to start somewhere and work their way towards ultimate goals.

Jae Gruber

group discussions, and library research on demographics and indusr=try standards

I discuss the good, the bad, and the ugly of the industry. By telling them about my experiences, this will usually lead to a dialoque where others can express their concerns etc.

We have students do a five minute Powerpoint presentation on their possible career field in food service. They must teel us about possible salries and interviews with someone in the field. It really comes as a reality check for some.

There is no substitute for telling your story or in some cases, the story or stories of others. Many times this prompts lively discussion and might encourage another student to tell their story as well.

Each term after the career services department gives a one hour lecture to the class on expectations for seeking employment and an internship I add my own lecture regarding career paths.
I ask a couple of students what are their aspirations in the culinary, hospitality field.
On the board I write the starting point which is school then write vertically above that with the jobs and steps the student would need to get to their goal. The goal is at the top, this gives the student perspective on the first and second jobs that will be needed right after school to steer then in the right direction.
I tell them it is an example because there are many variables that can happen along the way to reaching their goal.

Gwen,

It is helpful to discuss the realities of the industry and prepare the students for obstacles and challenges that they may encounter.

Jae Gruber

Gilbert,

It is extremely helpful when Chef Instructors discuss and build upon the information presented by the Career Services department. Students often have questions about different titles within the industry or how the heirarchy of management of a hotel works instead of a restuarant. Drawing a goal map is a great visual aid. Thank you for sharing this best practice.

Jae Gruber

Mark,

You make a very good point in an indirect way. Often instructors tell the stories of their career path, but we should also encourage students to tell their own stories...either of how they arrived at the decision to pursue their career path or, if they are currently in the profession, their present and past experiences.

Jae Gruber

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities