Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Delivering Realistic Information

How do you convey the realities of potential career paths to your students?

I have talked to my class about my career path, what helped me get to my career, but I find speaking of what didn't help me achieve goals is a topic students seem to not only relate to, but remember. I have also had noteworthy local chefs guest speak in my classes to tell their stories of sucess and failure. I believe letting the students know we are human and do make mistakes professionally assures them failure isn't a huge weight looming over their shoulders.

Luke,
You've made some great points. Letting students know your human side and allowing them to benefit from both your positive and negative past experiences can really enhance the student/teacher connection, as well as solidify their knowledge

Jae Gruber

I agree, describing your career path is a good start, I like do this on day 1 as a get to know each other icebreaker.

The other thing I think is helpful is giving real life examples on every case by case opportunity.

Lastly, please rebuttal, but I like to describe this industry as realistically as possible. This generation has many hurdles of representation to deal with; for example the food network. As in the "Lucky Peach", I usually point out the realities of pay because this can be a deal breaker and something that I hope would taught to me.

Matt,

I do think it is important to describe the realities of the industry. Often students want to know a pay range and I encourage them to do research in that area as there is no concrete answer. The amount of income that can be made can vary, depending on if the individual will be working in a chain restaurant, hotel, privately owned restaurant or numerous other options...not to mention by state. What seems like a lot of money per hour in New York is not necessarily so, due to the cost of living. Sometimes students want to know "how long it takes" to achieve particular positions as well. As you know, there is no concrete answer to that question, it is really based on the individual and the particular path they choose to take.

Jae Gruber

I compare working in smaller restaurants with a simple menu in which a cook can advance quickly, to a huge Las Vegas style resort hotel with multiple restaurants to emphasize the need for more in depth experience and training in numerous departments.

June ,

Those are great examples. It is truly important to relay as many types of culinary/hospitality examples as possible so that students begin to understand that their career path is not only dependent upon their skills, but also the path(s) they choose.

Jae Gruber

I had my students do research on different job titles related to the industry in different geographical locations. I then had them look up job opening on different employment websites to get an idea of the demand of different jobs. I also encouraged them to talk to people who work in the industry to get a broader perspective on different positions.

Stephanie,

These are great ideas. Some students believe there is one answer to career path questions such as pay, titles and advancement. Truly, it is only through research that they begin to see that their are many options. Of course, in addition to their career path choices, utlimately their progress will depend on their work ethic as well!

Jae Gruber

I teach a foundational culinary class and on the first day during my introduction to the students, I talk to them about my desire to get in the industry and how despite the fact that I did not want to work weekends,nights, or holidays, the beauty of this industry is that there is a wide range of possibilities regarding career paths. I share that I had never planned to teach and was planning to open a catering business. It turns out that I despise catering and know without a doubt that I am not cut out for that. Because of the many options in this business, I was able to pursue different paths in the industry.

I encounter a wide range of culinary students from introductory ones in thier first days of school to those completing the program. I do my best to nurture thier dreams but harness the dreamers to understand that they are not going to be the next television food star. The culinary profession has many options but it takes a solid base of industry experience to pair with the knowledge they recieve in school. I encourage them to get the best introductory job they can qualify for, learn everything they can and then move on (after 1 year +/-) to the next possible position. It is the journey that matters.

Larry,

I think you hit the nail on the head in stating: "I do my best to nuture their dreams, but harness the dreamers to understand..." Well said!

Jae Gruber

Kimberly,

When instructors relay their own stories, it helps students realize that their career path may be a winding road with hills and valleys and not necessarily the direct path they picture in their minds - and that is not necessarily a negative! The journey is always preparation for the next phase of a career.

Jae Gruber

I tell my students that they can do and go anywhere in the world they want. But, they must work hard. This industry IS about working circles around the guy/gal next to you and you will be noticed and awarded for standing out. I find that I really have to hit home about the fact that nothing is given away, you have to work for it.

Kathleen,

That is definitely good and accurate advice. Sometimes learning is in retrospect. Students may not realize how true your words are until they are at their externship site or well into their career, but someday your words and advice will replay in their head.

Jae Gruber

I like to discuss my own career path with students.

I also like to reassure them that while right out of culinary school they will not be "chefs" making a ton of money; but with a lot of hard work and dedication it is possible to make a good living doing what we love.

While discussing realities of the industry I include amongst the long hours and minimal pay that being a chefs also means having flexibility in hours, lots of career options and it's fun!

Elizabeth,

These are all great points. I think it is important for instructors to convey realistic expectations while still being positive and speaking about the gratification and fun moments that one will experience!

Jae Gruber

I completely agree that emphasizing the "journey" of a culinary career is an important part of talking with students about their future. So many students come in thinking they are going to specialize in one aspect of the business (like cake decorating) and don't feel as engaged in the other classes (like bread baking and vennoiserie); but it is important that students understand that the more a pastry chef can do,the more valuable they are to employers.

I like to share my experiences as a hiring manager - what I was looking for, valued and didn't want in a potential employee.

Jennifer,

You bring a great perspective to your students when you share your experiences as a hiring manager. Some students may not understand the value of having a well-rounded skill set. Having other hiring managers visit your classroom to have a "What are employers looking for" and/or Q&A session with students can broaden perspective.

Jae Gruber

I totally agree with Jennifer. I love to bring my past work and industry experieces to the students. They love to hear war stories about certain experiences in the kitchen and with customers. The real art to this techique is keeping these stories relative to what they are suppose to be learning in the classroom. I believe the students truly appeciate when someone can bring true reality advice to the classroom.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities