Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gilbert,

This truly is a "real world" perspective and a fantastic way to reinforce the principals of sanitation in production.

Jae Gruber

I like to break lecture up into 20 minute segments. After each segment I will assign the students a quick activity to get them out of their chairs and be social with other students.

Robert,

This is a great idea, even if it is just a verbal description. Sometimes "talking through" a dish can really make one focus on each and every step that is required.

Jae Gruber

Brandon,

I have noticed that several instructors have mentioned how they are breaking up the material into smaller segments. I think adding the element of an activity where the students are able to get up and move around, makes a big diffrence.

Jae Gruber

I actually break up the lecture material with the demonstration portion. This way it allows the brain to absorb what we just went over. Most of our students are visual learners, so the demonstration reinforces the material. If there's important information that's going to be on the quiz, I stress that point as much as necessary to make sure they understand the material. The brain can only absorb so much.

I will have the students come up to the demo to taste, look at texture, feel and give feed back on the products that I am making.

In regards to math, I use visual devices like measuring cups and scales. So many students are afraid of weights and measures and get very confused. I use the analogy to money. They can all count money/change so when it comes to measurements I use a gallon unit and a dollar being the whole. This makes the topic of math very interesting to students.
1/4 or .25 is a quarter of a gallon or dollar, meaning it takes four quarters/four quarts to make a dollar/gallon. When measurements are looked at like money they relate. I use the same with 1 pound/16 ounces being the whole. 1/2 or .50 is 8 ounces, 1/4 or .25 is 4 ounces. I push math hard with my students as 80% want to be business owners. Without knowing math it will be hard to be a successful manager/owner. You must know math to calculate food cost/labor cost, two major factors of operating a successful business.

Humor is a main tool I use. It keeps the students waiting for my next one-liner. :) I also like to have student helpers -- the students will pay closer attention to the student, critiquing their skills/performance and therefore stay more involved with lecture/demo days.

by using different types of stimulation, video, using white board to review material just covered, changing tone, making the students become interactive in discussion about conterversial topics, include them in demo, friendly competition

Ryan,

It is good that you are having students give feedback on your demo and the products. If they are asked for the feedback, it encourages them to pay attention and use critical thinking skills.

Jae Gruber

Students need to stay engaged. Keep them active in order to maintain interest and focus from to Q&A to physically participation. Create a learning environment. Provide a fun and relaxed atmosphere yet respectful and serious. Delegate and stimulate decisions making. Collective feed back to end the session.

Todd,

Very good points! I agree, presenting the subject of measurements in terms of money truly helps students relate. If an instructor can make the subject of math relatable to the students day to day experiences of paying bills or going grocery shopping, it truly helps them to absorb concepts.

Jae Gruber

Stacy,

Student helpers can really make a difference when doing a demo. It is helpful in bringing shy people out of their shell, giving the individual who wants to be the center of attention a chance to do so in a positive way, or in creating a spark for natural competitors to want to be the next to assist and show how much they know.

Jae Gruber

Joshua,

It is good to break up information and/or repeat it during the demo. Reinforcement of technique through assigning the viewing of a technique on a video as homework is also helpful. Students apprciate when you give them tips on what may be coming up on a quiz or a final exam, so they can hone in on particular material.

Jae Gruber

I try to switch topics. A little math to get their attention then discuss the recipes and then the demo. If they look tired i give them a break before the demo.

Pierre,

All very good points and ideas. Maintaining student interest and enhancing engagement requires the use of numerous strategies.

Jae Gruber

Joseph,

These are all excellent ways to keep the student involved and active in the class.

Jae Gruber

I use humor. I use pop culture references trageted at the different age groups in the class. I use active learning techniques such as self-evaluation after lab days, Finally I ask plenty of open ended questions to engage the students and make them feel that they are part of the lecture and not just a passive observer.

I try to get them involved in telling me steps to a procedure that they have done before. I try to have them interacting in the demo as much as they can. I will also ask them why some steps are done the way they are- what the reasoning behind the step is- this helps them to remember the step later on if they know why it's important.

Emma,

I agree, it is important to have them interact with the demo as much as possible. The more they can tell the instructor what should come next or stir or cut items needed for the demo, the more engaged they become in the subject matter.

Jae Gruber

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities