Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Elizabeth,

Yes humor does help! I often say that we are not only instructors, but entertainers as well. It is good to relate your lectures to the real world and also to coax responses. At times instructors do not ask enough open-ended questions or spend enough time waiting for a student or the class to respond to the question.

Jae Gruber

Kelvin,

What a great idea to send students on break with a promise of an industry story when you return. You must have great stories!

Jae Gruber

I have found that what keeps culinary students interested is relating to real world experiences when you have other students in the classroom that are currently working in the industry you can use their experiences to help the others connect to the subject.

As most others have commented, I have found the most interest generated is by telling of my life experience in the industry. It's amazing how many times during the class evaluations at the end of each term the students comment on these stories, and thus how they have made an impact on the student. I also comment on current articles in the daily paper that pertain to current class content, ie. food borne illness issues, new restaurants, James Beard awards, etc.

Enrique,

Students do enjoy hearing about the career paths of instructors and about real world stories. Not only is it helpful in engaging the student, but it also gives the instructor the oppportunity to tie in information they are trying to teach!

Jae Gruber

I have students participate in the demonstrations themselves and rotate as my teaching assistant every day.

I like this subject and I tell my students how nice it can be to look forward to some foods that you have not tasted in a while even so it's available year around from other parts of the world.

Brian,

A teaching assistant is an excellent idea. When students participate in the demos not only are they more likely to pay attention, but also more likely to remember and execute those concepts and techniques in their own production.

Jae Gruber

I do the same thing. I assign a sous chef who helps set up, break down and manage the dish washers, etc. Others are free to get up and get hands on during the demo, gather around the demo station, help stir, etc. It seems that the next day in lab, those who participate in demos are a couple steps ahead of the ones who just sit and watch.

Kathleen,

Even though many culinary schools have demo cameras and/or demo mirrors, many Chefs still like for the students to gather around the stove with them. When the student is up, active and participating, we have a better chance of retaining their interest throughout the demo.

Jae Gruber

Klaus,

Yes, it does not even occur to some of the younger students that at one time consumers had to wait until produce was in season in their local area. Fortunately, many instructors are now introducing students to the subject of eating locally grown produce!

Jae Gruber

Brian,
I do the same. I find that students really enjoy "showing off" their newly learned skills and it takes some of the pressure off of me to multi-task and lecture at the same time. I bore myself demo-ing prep and fabrication, it is much more effective if I show them how, ask for a volunteer and then let them come try it out.

I beleive in students partipation in demos, helps other students see, they can to.

I try to tell a lot of stories related to the product we are making. It is hard for students to sit for a long period of time especially when things are boiling or setting. They need some sort of distraction while waiting in order to keep the demo productive.

I do this as well. I have stories from the industry and relate them to what we are doing that day and students will be more engaged. I try to have a sense of humor about everything and include them by asking questions of their experiences.

I often used stories from my own industry experience as a way to show the students that the subject they are learning about is relevent and will come up in their lives. This shows that they are able to use the information from a lecture class and makes it feel like it is important to know this information.

In my Sanitation classes I like to use real world examples. When covering a topic I use my own experiences as a chef and cook to emphasize what has happened and what can happen in a real kitchen. Another thing that I do is go to the local health department's website and share some of the inspections they have made of restaurants around town. We then discuss some of the violations and how it can be prevented or corrected.

Devon,

Student participation in demos really helps engage the "class clown" or know-it-all, helps quiet students break out of their shell, and helps the easily distracted student stay focused.

Jae Gruber

Megan,

I agree! Instructors have to find ways to talk about a product at length and in detail: other uses for a product, what it may be served with, where it is grown, substitutions for the product - all of this information is relevant and helps maintain student interest.

Jae Gruber

I vary lecture/talking with active demo and I get the students to stand around my table. I work with a couple of induction burners on a stainless table so that my back is not to them at the stove.
And..... "Up, up, up", I say because no one sits in a kitchen...unless it is a customer at a Chef's Table!!!

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities