Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Damien,

Any time you can relate the subject matter to a real world situation, it helps to engage the student and get them thinking! Particularly if you can relate cost control/math/yield situations to such things as grocery shopping, buying a new stove for the house, or interest paid on a loan!

Jae Gruber

Katherine,

I think it is grat thta you are incorporating the student phone into the classroom to look up facts that are related to topic material!

Jae Gruber

It really depends on what the lecture is and the temperament of a specific class, I try to have at least two activities for each lecture that I do. I am constantly evaluating and reworking these activities to make sure they are adding and not detracting from my goals for the class. This is one example of a break out activity that I use when I am doing my plated dessert lecture. I take the different theories of platting dessert (there are 10 in the slideshow) I wright each theory on a poster board and place them around the room. (I number in the order of my slideshow) I then have the students visit each poster and write what they know or think that theory has to do with putting food on a plate. After they have visited each of the posters I have them revisit all the posters reading what the classmates have written and then adding any new ideas that they might have. I then have them help me put them in order at the front of the class. Then I send them on a break while I read and identify key points that I want to pull out from the student’s information as I go through my lecture. (I also use this as a tool to gage their understanding on a topic and will shrink or expand my lecture on a given topic given where they are at as a class) after break I start my lecture and have found by doing this the exchange and discussion is SO much better than when if I just show them the slideshow and talk at them.

I love this idea, I will often use the "speed dating" for test review I give them a list of topics and ask them to come up with 10 test questions (not simple true/false but a question that will let the see how much a student knows about the subject by how they answer) then we line up and quiz each other and when the timer goes of we rotate to the right

Getting them involved in demos is always my go to in order to keep them involved in lecture. Another thing that I like to do is demonstrate the lecture points in conjunction with the demo and reinforce the learning points at the end of the demo/lecture. Lastly, always having real life personal examples and tying them in with the lecture helps.

Scot,

Great idea! This is a fun way to keep student interest and create a casual competition-type atmosphere.

Jae Gruber

Ted,

I completely agree. Watching the facial expressions and body language of students can help an instructor take a different approach to the subject, encourage more group involvement, or use other tactics to reengage the students.

Jae Gruber

Try to make the lectures fun and exciting. For example when I lecture on Legumes I bring roasted peanuts in the shell and hand them out. I tell students don't eat them yet. Using a power point presentation I put up a definition of a legume. Then we examine the peanut and eat them. I have lots of examples of beans I pass around for students to look at and compare.

When doing demos I always pick students who are having trouble in class or a bit slower to come and help me. I make them feel special. The next day in class when we cook they usually do well.

passion. Students are more interested if they know you are passionate about what you do and say. I am and I believe students can feel it.

great idea, im borrowing this one!

I try not to lecture as much as lead. I don't want to hand a student a plate of spagetti and say "here is the fork you need". I want them to "discover " their need for a fork not a spoon. Failure is not acutally failure when something is learned.

Rebecca,

I agree. Students can not only sense an instructors passion, but their overall mood and energy.

Jae Gruber

I learn their names quickly, and call upon them to give their own knowledge and ideas. I put in my own photos as well to give a real world example of discussion topics.

Adrian,

Many instructors have mentioned that getting their students involved in demos is very helpful in holding their attention and helping them feel a part of the learning process. Tying "real world" examples into lectures truly helps the student have a broader understanding of course concepts.

Jae Gruber

For culinary labs, I utilize a signup sheet for teaching assistants ("sous chefs") from the class. I encourage everyone to stand around the demo area and call out names to have individual students "help" me with this or that. I feel I can most successfully connect with every student this way through a culinary lecture.

I use many props as well as calling a random student at a random time during the demo to assist me.. chopping, plating, saucing atc.. It keeps them engaged for sure, because they never know when they will be called up to help do the demo!

@jae393 I am always aware that what the students dont know is an opportunity to open up a new world. This is specially true when it relates to new ingredients. Its origin and flavor etc

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities