Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Maintaining Student Interest

What are some techniques you have used to maintain student interest throughout a lecture?

I try as much as possible to relate the information being presented to the industry, and being employable. I am a humourous person by nature, which also helps. I have found a great way to keep the interest level high is to bring the students into the lecture. There is almost always someone who has had some experience in the subject, and having he or she talk about the instance really helps to diversify the subject matter. I have also learned quite a bit from them too!

Luke,
It us great to bring the students into the lecture component of the class. It is especially helpful with those who may otherwise find unproductive ways to be the center of attention! Appropriate humor is such a great addition to teaching. Sometimes we have to be entertainers in addition to being educators!

Jae Gruber

I keep interest by aking questions. For example I might ask the students why I blanch green vegetables in boiling water, while potatoes or bacon are started in cold water. This will engage their curiousity and critical thinking skills. I also agree that humor is vital. The willingness to laugh at oneself with let the students see you as human and more relateable.

I also like to add stories from the industry where not knowing the way to handle psychology/math/english was detrimental.

Lisa,

Great! Giving examples of non-cooking subjects and their impact on the cooking environment is so critical in preparing students for short and long term success.

Jae Gruber

I love a good guided discussion, if the topic starts to get off subject I can always get it back on track. A guided discussion keeps the students engaged because it is interactive. Jokes are always good too, I'm pretty much a comedian.

Nathan,

Guided discussions are thought provoking and grab the interest of the students. Such discussions also help the instructor to more specifically direct their lessons to the current students in their class, rather than always using the same methods and materials. Indeed faculty members also need to be entertaining, fun and inspirational for the students, as well as for their own teaching enjoyment!

Jae Gruber

I agree getting the students involved is great it will keep there mind off other places and what you and other students are talking about. if an instructor does nothing but talk students are going to get bored and they are not going to listen. Hands on is a grea way to go.

Kim,

Hands on tasks, moving around, changing seating assignments daily, group work and games are all great ways to have fun and increase student interest, while still accomplishing class objectives!

Jae Gruber

I try and make my delivery upbeat and interesting - combining fun facts, varying tone of voice, photographs on the overhead monitor, and easy, quick demos. Keeping the students engaged is paramount to learning.

June,

It is helpful for instructors to be as entertaining as they are knowledgeable! A fun, exciting, fast-paced classroom/production environment contributes to the students desire to attend every day of the class, not only to learn, but to see what will happen next!

Jae Gruber

I have found, that by switching up delivery of materials to support the different learning styles is effective. If I start with a power point presentation, then move on to an activity that has the students getting up and around and communicating the material among peers. Our theory classes are often 4-5 hours in duration so they must be broken into segments or the students tend to fade.

Peter,

These are excellent ideas. Variety and activities that get students moving are helpful in engaging students from multiple generations, with multiple learning styles and add a "what's next" expectation to each class.

Jae Gruber

I try to have interactive role play, research studies where the student plays the sous for the day, delivering a simple lecture on a topic, handing out recipes, having teams execute, expedite and taste each recipe and then arbitrate the teams as they critique each other.

Then we vote on each of six criteria as to how well each dish turns out and this is factored into the grade for each team.

Barry,

These are good exercises to help people develop their leadership skills as they learn how to guide and negotiate with different personalities. It also helps the more shy student break out of their shell!

Jae Gruber

I read a lot of industry related materials on a regular basis. I try to incorporate items that are currently in the news like items in seaason at the farmers market to emphasize seasonal cooking or a food bourne illness outbreak to emphasize a sanitation lesson.

Larry,

These are great ideas. I have noticed that it is not unusual for students to be unfamiliar with the concept of seasonal cooking, due to the availability of product throughout the year. Discussing the differences of how particular produce may taste in the summer as opposed to the winter, often gives student the "ah ha" moment they need.

Jae Gruber

I always try to engage students in the lecture by asking them questions, coaxing responses and relating lecture to the real world.

I use my own experinces and incorporate stories to help reinforce the information and I encourage students to share their own real life experinces.

Humor always helps too!

My experience level in the industry makes it a great way to relate the coursework to the real world. Sending the students on a break with the promise of an industry store when they return in seems to keep them alive. I use a lot of humor as well.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities