Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In large groups I like to do "word surgery" games where the students as a group have to discuss how to break the med term up into prefix, suffix, and combining form. It gets everyone involved and also helps the students who are having difficulty see how the word is broken up and learn from participating in the game. I have had students that were falling behind tell me this game is very helpful when it comes to understanding the word parts and how to break them up. I also give the students group time to work on flash cards for all of their prefixes, suffixes, and combining forms. Together we will go through the chapters, discuss which ones we do not yet have cards for, and then make the cards and discuss the word or word part in groups. It seems like any little memorization game we can come up with will definitely help these students alot!

I love word surgery and will try it next week. Thanks for sharing your terrific idea!

I actually include word surgery on my students chapter exams so I like spending time practicing it during class. It scared them at the beginning of the term but now they are regular pros at it and I'm sure will be better prepared for their Med Term 2 class because of it. It's very easy to turn into a game and it helps making learning the word parts more fun!

The online games that came with their book is great also. I like to pull up my projector screen and make them correctly spell the terms on the white board and correctly pronounce them.

This is a great idea! This can be added for the things learned in class for the day or learned in a long lecture.

I seem to get the very "competitive" students, so I do a lot games. Guess my favorite, to which the students really respond favorably, is the relay race to the board to draw or write. It's a great review game, & I always have prizes for the winners. (Of course the non-winners get a "consolation" prize!)

Yes, I give prizes to all, also, because we all win when we all learn.

Bingo. Make several cards with suffixes, prefixes and combining terms on them. Each team has a captain. In order for them to cover the word on the card they must write the meaning.They can discuss the word but only the captain can do the writing. The first team that gets BINGO wins the first round, then we go until at least each team has gotten BINGO, then we go for BLACKOUT. That is when we cover the whole card. It is lots of fun and makes them think.

The two versions are a nice touch, thanks for sharing how you use bingo as a teaching tool.

This sounds like a great way to review for a test. Thanks for the idea.

How do you make Jeopardy with PowerPoint? I use PPT a lot to keep me on track but I think this would be a great way to break up lectures.

I guess I'm not up to date on my games. What is Around the World?

Christina gave this explanation, I myself have not played it, but the repetition of each of the cards by the students sounds like a good teaching strategy to me.

Mark, if you do a google search for "k-12Jeopardy" you will find ready to use formats that school teacher have used and share, so all you have to add to it is your content.

I like the thought of Jeopardy as well, and have the software I need to create a game. I think Wheel of Fortune would be great also, but I have not found a program yet to create it. I guess Hang Man would be the cheap and easy version...

Having the software will save you time, google k-12 teacher wheel of fortune and maybe you will find some shareware another teacher has written and will give you at no cost.

At the beginning of terminology class there are always those who put off reading the chapter and /or doing their homework. I find that the day following the assignment is a great time to divide the class into teams. The first person in line for their team is asked a question which they may answer alone for 2 points, or get help from their team for 1 point. They then go to the end of the line and the next team is given their question. Each person generally becomes very interested in getting those 2 points for the team! It's a great way to review for tests as well.

Janine, it's funny how students will compete, not realizing at first they are learning. Using your method is a a way to get everyone involved and gives them incentive to read the chapters on their own. Great job!

I have used a game called "what do you know", this is better used at the end of the course to review for a final, or reinforcement. List words on slips of paper - they can be easy to hard words or word parts, divide class into groups, pick a word or word part that you have already written and pull from a container, keep score and winning team receives a prize!

The competetive review process is fun and motivating. I am sure you have seen much success with it.

Sign In to comment