Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

games

whay type of games woul you use in a large group

I use the same types of activities with large groups. I first break the large groups into groups of 6, and pick a leader from each. The leaders then take turns responding.

I like concentration but it takes the most time. The mystery clue is quick and allows large group participation and the air of "mystery" which can be played up a great deal with an alien costume/mask whatever. Students really love this part!

Mystery and curiosity do motivate students as you said, Vickie. Keep up the great work!

I'm loving all of these ideas. Since I don't know enough about football, I'm going to stay away from that one...but I might try the baseball and secret identity. It would appeal most to our students.

It is best to use the ones your are most comfortable with...enjoy!

I usually play jeopardy with my class as a form of review for the final exam. I divide the class into teams and designated a team spokesperson. I have found that games which encourage friendly competition better help students learn.

Friendly competition is a powerful motivator of adults in our culture. Keep up the good work!

Games that I like to play with the students are Around the world. I make flash cards using the terms that are in the chapter being covered. I give each student a flash card they go around the room they say there card first and moves on until student has said all the cards. students love this because its repetative and it helps them remember the term. It can also be used with built from word parts not only combining forms suffixes and prefixes.

What a wonderful way to teach and reinforce with terminology! I will try it in my next class. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.

As part of a game (whichever one you choose), I believe that using full color illustrations all over your classroom act as visual enhancements to help your students learn medical terminology. Repetition is the key factor here.

I agree completely!

I made jeopardy using Powerpoint on the computer. It even has music.

I use the same games with the large and small groups. I divide the large groups into smaller groups and have captains. I enjoy Jeopardy, crossword puzzles and the Mystery Word.
Mariann U

Large group activites work well with word/definition matching. Dividing class into teams, playing family feud and any treating the subject as a news report with student being reporter and other students being the onlookers to ask guestions, this quizzes student on spontoneus information on subject matters.

Thank you for your imput.Family feud skipped my mind. I will definitely incorporate it into my learning activities when teaching medical terminology.
Mariann U

I enjoy using jeopardy or wheel of fortune type games for group activities. They are easy enough to understand, current enough that younger students know what I'm talking about, and they can be used in teams or individual activities. I also want to implement family feud to the mix. It keeps the energy level of the class high and motivates through competition. Winners of the games are eligible for extra credit on the next test or a free-bee question on the exam.

I especially liked the idea of students writing some terminology retain, and circling which was unfamiliar that I will try next lesson.

We do jeopardy also. I have a program that has the music and the template for the questions and answers. The students start to really get into it and helps to reinforce the information.

I'm sometimes amazed how successful Jeopardy is universally. Chuck, adding the music and template can add to the learner enthusiasm. Thanks for sharing!

Sign In to comment