Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The perfect sized teams to me are each 3 to 6 people per team.

I love that idea...it's a way of getting them motivated and work together.

Yes, Evelyn, I find involving students does teach collaboration and is motivating. Thanks!

I've done BINGO a lot in my classes. I hand out blank boards & give them a list of word parts they can choose from to fill in their boards. I read off the definitions of the word parts- so it ends up being BINGO & matching all in one.

Great adaptation of Bingo, Courtney!

I have what I call Community Assignments. A group of students present a game of their choice at the beginning of each class as a "test review" and reenforcement of the previous lesson. I have had Bingo, Jeopardy, basketball, etc. It is interesting to see what kind of game they present in order to help the other students learning something.

It is interesting to see that students sometimes create harder questions that the instructor would for their class mates to answer. Getting all involved is the key, Mary.

I can see how a Jeopardy game could be used in my classroom. I plan on implementing it to give some interest and variety to my classroom.

Team Work always fosters a cooperative learning environment which helps with long term retention of medical terms.

We must focus on creating that long term retention, it is key.

In my terminology class, I have the students make up games to be played in the class with all the other students and myself included. They have come up with some very creative ways to remember medical terminology. Some of the games were: Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, Bingo, Trivial Pursuit, etc. I had a group of students who did an American Idol singing competition with their words for their project. It was very creative and the interaction with their classmates was priceless.

It's great that you gave the students the freedom to be creative and make up their own activities!

I believe this is a very exciting way to get the student involved in the process. Students really feel proud when they are able to not only participate, but produce!

It also makes the students feel success at that moment, which reinforces their desire to learn.

I agree! It is very important that the student feels as though they are successful. I make it a point to tell my students that I am proud of their progress often.

That is a strategy more instructors should use.

I play a game that is similar to the board game Taboo where each team has a list of words that they try to get their teammates to say. The only thing is that they have to use relevant scientific clues in order to get their team to say the word. Whatever team gets the most words in 3 minutes win.

alex, this is a great adaptation of Taboo and I can see that it is a terrific idea.

Michele Deck

Sounds great, have been using some things already, got some great new ideas

I have done that as well. I usually will play a couple of rounds with all the students answering out loud so that everyone becomes familar with the words.

Sign In to comment