Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online Quizzes

How do you integrate online quizzes to your students? Also, what if there is a problem with students logging on or accessing these quizzes online?

I use a website called proprofs.com. Generally it works well about 60% of the time. There are problems with log ins, marking wrong answers etc. If you can suggest a better website for onlinequizzes, please do so. Thanks

Rommel ,

I prefer QuizStar- I find it reliable and have never had a problem with logging in or inconsistencies with calculating grades.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

Engrade is a program required by the institution that I am employed. As a result, I upload quizzes there and give students 1-2 weeks to complete the quiz.The population of students varies and some do not have access to a computer on a daily basis. However, being that technology is everywhere students have to manage their time and make arrangements to access the quiz online and submit it by the due date. It has its pros and cons. The subject that I teach is one that allows them to use any resources necessary to help them pass the quiz. After two years of using this program it works well.

Our school uses a helpful resource called Engrade and on Engrade.com, you can provide students with online quizzes. Whenever there is a situation where the students cannot access the quiz, I would simply print out the quiz for the students to take. Problems logging in is very rare though.

Our campuses use on line instruction and then on line quizzes. They can access the training end of the curriculum from any on line media service, but the on line quizzes must be proctored and done on campus for the students to receive any credit. We are sensitive to many student's financial concerns and do provide computers in the campuses in order to do their training if needed.

David,

Unfortunately, many cannot afford to purchase a tablet or a computer in order to complete assignments electronically or review content from home. Having computer labs on campus is a solution, but I do know for many online institutions, this is a major issue, especially when students do not have reliable transportation to a public library or a friend or family members home. With all of the perks that come along with incorporating technology into the learning environment, there are still some drawbacks, especially when it comes to accessibility.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

Many students have enough stress for a quiz without adding the 60% of the computer working. I plan to try QuizStar. It should work well for make up quizzes also.

I use study stack to involve my students online. It seems fairly reliable and hasn't given much trouble to access. The first day of the course generally I have them go through it and load it to see that it works for them and debug any issues we may encounter.

There are assignments that the students are given that require them to log onto the internet. Most students have their own computers at home or lap tops, tablets, etc but for those who don't, our school has multiple computer labs that the students can use. Since we have day and night courses, these labs are opened from 9am to 11pm making it extremely easy to get the work done. The only drawback that we have encountered is cheating amongst the students within the same classroom. One tends to do the assignment and then passes the answers off to another and so on... so while it is a good option there are still some negatives to the use of Online Quizzes and assignments.

Frank and I use Study stack.
The one thing in using this method is you will need to reword the questions.
So they teach the theory.
Otherwise the student will just memorize the questions for the actual test.

Sometimes students can cheat with someone's help.

They are okay but I don't like them.

Do you find that online quizzes make it easier for makeup. Is it more convenient for the student to just log on when they can?

I have not tried using online quizzes. This is something that I think could be cost efficient for our school.

There are always potential problems that arise with using online quizzes, such as students not being able to access the information. You should always have a back up plan, such as printed quizzes.

You will also need to decide if the students will be doing the quizzes during class time or outside of class. The challenges could be - do they have the technology outside of class to complete the quiz and how do you know it is actually the student taking the quiz. Also keep in mind, that by nature, online quizzes or exams taken without a proctor are open book, open notes, and open internet.

Sign In to comment