Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Teleconferencing

What are some practical benefits in incorporating teleconferencing into the learning environment?

Incorporating teleconferencing/videoconferencing allows the students to learn from top level experts in their field. Several medical associations provide this to schools and groups at no charge. This may allow students to hear/see lectures from presenters around the world.

Wayne,

Skype is a fantastic tool that allows students to engage with experts in their field. I am copying a web link below that lists some additional uses for Skype in the classroom, both traditional and online delivery.

http://edudemic.com/2012/11/online-colleges-50-creative-ways-to-use-skype-in-the-classroom/

Theresa Schmitt

It gives the students an opportunity to learn from other subject matter experts across the country and around the world. I think it could also help students to see both similarities and differences of how the suject matter is applied in other areas and help them feel a sense of connection.

we can have conference teaching, I have told my students how they don't have to go out if they can have access to some types of conference line that will help.Teleconferencing is a great tool in the institution of teaching.

students will be motivated to learn as well as being excited to engage.

Teleconferencing can bring in guest speakers from around the world at a limited cost to the institution.
Marietta Carter-Narcisse

THE SUBJECT MATTER THAT I TEACH CAN BE FAR MORE INTERESTING BY OPENING THE DOOR TO NEW EDUCATORS AND ARTISTS FROM DIFFERENT STATES AND COUNTRIES. THIS IDEA IS VERY INTERESTING TO ME. THE PROSPECT OF RE INTRODUCING FORMER STUDENTS WHO HAVE RE LOCATED AND ARE WORKING IN THEIR COUNTRIES IS ANOTHER WAY TO UTILIZE THIS TECHNOLOGY.

Sheryl,

I am happy to hear you may incorporate video chat into your curriculum. I find students are very inspired by talking with graduates who are now successful in their field. Some of the websites mentioned in the sharing learning materials portion of this class are also great resources when seeking out guest speakers. Publishers such as Pearson and Cengage are also helpful when seeking out speakers. I have found they have a great network of professionals who are willing to present to both small and large groups.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

One major practical benefit in incorporating teleconferencing into the learning environment is that students are introduced to a technology that they will undoubtedly encounter in the workplace. Teleconferencing is used by many professionals, so exposing students to this mode of communication before they are actually professionals has value. Another benefit is that students are connected to other experts through teleconferencing. There are fewer logistical obstacles to overcome when organizing a teleconference. Organizing an actual conference can be expensive and time-consuming.

I teach Math at my institution and sometimes it is very hard to emphasize to the students why they need to take Math. I think teleconferencing would be a great way to get guest speakers from the chosen fields that we offer at our college. Therefore the guest speakers could identify all the ways that they use Math in their chosen fields and that way the students could actually see why Mat is important to them.

Sherry,

I think this would be an excellent experience for your students. Understanding how algebra is actually applied in-field is crucial so it is not all about memorization- it makes the experience more meaningful. I live in Florida and the public schools are adopting common core (https://www.fldoe.org/schools/ccc.asp). Through these new standards, students will be doing just as you discuss here so they understand the why behind the how. The teachers I know are very positive when discussing these new initiatives, embracing a renewed focus on comprehension.

Wishing you success with introducing teleconferencing into your curriculum.

Theresa Schmitt

I only see my students one day a week. By using teleconferencing, I have the ability to meet with students more often, if needed. This is better than just sending them an e-mail. We can have a live discussion which is much better.

Deborah,

As an instructor, I have "Open Skype Time" in which students can call during scheduled hours twice a week when I am sure to be at my computer at home. I can answer questions, review grades, or just provide general guidance on an as-needed basis.

Yours in learning,

Theresa Schmitt

Could teleconfrencing be useful to students who are not able to come to class due to sickness? Possibly this method of communication has benefits for students with physical difficulties

Students and instructor can discuss information from an expert in the field without having to travel. It is inexpensive and draws the students into participation.

Teleconferencing could help students meet with speakers around the world who work in the field that they are interested in. Teleconferencing also allows for additional insight and personal experience from someone else's perspective rather than just that of the instructor.

rebecca,

I would ask your campus Dean about that. Marking students present when they are not physically in class may pose numerous problems for your school, so you would need to be sure the attendance was logged as distance learning or independent study/off-campus status.

Yours in learning,

Theresa Schmitt

Unfortunately, because of technical limitations and institutional barriers I see teleconferencing as an addition to , not a replacement for class time.

It's difficult to get speakers to agree to travel to our school in the Pacific Northwest, away from the Seattle area. Getting them to do a videoconference may be a good option. It would just need to be able to display other multimedia for it to work, and not just showing the speaker. Not sure how to make the speaker demonstrate what's on his or her screen if they're showing how to use a particular computer program. (Painting demos on Painter or Photoshop)

Sign In to comment